Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A combination of events lead me to getting a light full face helmet. I turned 50 last year and feel mortal. And then a guy I know broke his skull from eye socket to mouth on an XC ride when he clipped a tree.

I've been using it for lift access park riding. But I also decided to try it on a regular trail ride just for safety. I had a couple thoughts, pros, and cons...

Pros:

I definitely feel safer in it.
It's more comfortable than I expected.
The full face coverage doesn't interfere with my view angle.

Cons:
It's hotter than hades. I rode on on 88F day and was pretty choked up with heat.
Bugs fly into it and don't seem to escape easily. I suffered constant buzzing inside the helmet.
I can't "snot rocket" in it.

Of these things, the snot rocket issue is probably most limiting...

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Oh, So Interesting!
6,065 Posts
I've been using a Bell Super DH for about 5 years, just bought my 2nd one actually... it's DH rated and it's easy enough to take the chin bar on and off. Unlike some convertible helmets I'm confident it will hold up in a crash as well as any other lighter dh-rated FF helmet. I do also have a Bell Full-9 Carbon for lifts/shuttles when I don't need a light, convertible helmet.

Part of it is local terrain, here in CO we often have long climbs and long descents, a convertible may not be great for rolling terrain in flatter locations.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I use an IXS Tigger (MIPS) helmet. It's stupid light, but also DH rated. iXS Trigger FF | US

I started riding full face after a fall where I smashed my face. I'm pretty (for a grizzled old guy) and want to keep it that way. I'm not a shredder, just someone who used to ride with just cranium protection, and found out firt-hand what that didn't protect.

The only drawback is that as good as it breathes, it's a little hotter than the open face helmets, and It's also harder to eat/drink

·
Registered
76 Posts
Face Bicycle helmet Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Helmet

I recently got the Bell Super DH and I love it. I can take the chin bar on and off without taking the helmet off. with the chin bar on, I have trouble using a water bottle, so I mostly use a bladder type. With the bar on, I also have chipmunk cheeks according to my wife and daughter, to their great delight. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Yep. Been full face, full time for the past 4-5 years. I'd say my observations have been about the same as the OP. Although I don't ride in very hot weather so don't notice the extra heat much. Yeah, snot rockets, spitting, and eating with them on are an annoying limitation. Visibility is not restricted, breathing is not restricted. The extra weight can be felt on really long rides but they are pretty darn light now days.

As an aside, the problems I see with convertible helmets are: 1) to make them downhill rated with a sturdy chin bar attachment they typically get heavier and, 2) I never know when I'm going to crash therefore I wouldn't know when to put it on. 3) I'm really never bothered by the chin bar so what would be the point in taking it off and then having to lug it around on my pack?

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Dont you all have problem drinking from a water bottle without stopping fully? Is do-able, and I have done it enough to not go sideway while drinking, but the chin piece is just in the way.

I am anti camelbak type back pack. They are not as simple to clean, and the weight on my back feels unnatural in jumping situations. Also, many times I just want to grab the bike/helmet and go, bottle seems easier, and coming back to the issue that the chin bar gets in the way.

·
Nurse Ben
11,574 Posts
I started wearing a full face a few years ago after some bad crashes on XC stuff.

I was riding a IXS Trigger, but it was kinda hot, so I bought a Bell Super Air and it's far cooler.

Get a lighter weight full face, it'll help keep you cool.

I still wear a full brim hat on long climbs.

·
Registered
587 Posts
been using a down-o-matic since 2016 or so. Guess I better go check the build date, it may be time for a new one. It breathes real well and I never feel hot. It makes drinking from a bottle hard.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah... drinking from a bottle requires pulling the helmet up. I didn't mind stopping now and then to raise the helmet and take a swig.

The chin strap is super cool. It's magnetic and slides apart laterally. It holds fast to direct force. No more clipping/clicking!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I can see it for a bike park but have never thought of it or felt the need for it on xc trails but all trails/skills are different and risk-mitigation is definitely a personal thing.

·
Destroyer of Worlds
462 Posts
I occasionally put on my full-face and a little extra armouring when I know I'm going to be attacking new trails or new features. As upstate says, risk mitigation is a thing.

I wiped out twice in one day at the Whistler bike park, so I was very happy I was wearing the full-face there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Dont you all have problem drinking from a water bottle without stopping fully? Is do-able, and I have done it enough to not go sideway while drinking, but the chin piece is just in the way.

I am anti camelbak type back pack. They are not as simple to clean, and the weight on my back feels unnatural in jumping situations. Also, many times I just want to grab the bike/helmet and go, bottle seems easier, and coming back to the issue that the chin bar gets in the way.
Yes, I can't drink from a water bottle with the chin bar on with out dousing my whole face. I use a hip pack with a bladder, I love it. I just converted from years of Camelbak use. I have the EVOC hip pack. The tube wraps around my waist and is secured with a strong magnet, super easy to use.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts

Yes, that would be the other disadvantage for bottle users. I wear a pack with a water bladder so not a big issue for me, but it is a little harder to get the bite valve to your mouth past the chin bar sometimes.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I've been using a Bell Super Air R for about 6 weeks.
  • At first it felt heavy, it doesn't anymore.
  • Initially it seems to be warmer than a traditional XC helmet, now, not so much (and I live in Georgia).
  • I had problems drinking from the camelbak, but now I've figured it out (come over the top of the face guard) and have no issues.
  • It whistles, at least in my ears, and sound is different. I can hear fine, but tire noise seems amplified.
  • I probably should have just gotten a full face non-convertible type because I never plan on riding without the guard in place. Next time.
I like the extra protection.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
3,081 Posts
I also just got a IXS Tigger (MIPS) helmet.but I have only rode it around the house because of weather etc. I have almost only hit gravel this year.

The only thing I do not like so far is that there is no screen or mesh at the front openings.

Plan is to ride trails only with ff from now on.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.