Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Underskilled
4,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

A friend of my dad works for Chamonix hospital (spinal injuries guy, had a technical name i dodn't remember).

Since the increase in popularity of full face helmets, the number of paralysations and broken necks is increasing rapidly.

Aparantly if faceplanting at high speed previously the jaw would act as a crumple zone.
Full face helmets tend to transfer the force to C2/3, either killing or paraplegising the crasher.

Freaked me out learning that....no friking idea what to do now.
So removing the jaw protection will increase change of cripling/fatal injury.

**** **** **** what helmet do I wear now!!!!!

argh

·
Underskilled
4,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol...

·
Registered
467 Posts
My full face and leatt saved my head and neck this weekend. I broke my D2 and have a decent bruise on my dome. Walked away with a minor concussion and some cuts on my forearm. Neck isn't sore and I'm still alive.

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
Are you kidding me?

I've eaten **** with my full face on countless times.

This is the silliest post I have ever read...

·
Registered
994 Posts
there might be some truth to this but i am going to take my chances and stick with my full face, and add a neck brace down the road

·
Registered
461 Posts
ccspecialized said:
My full face and leatt saved my head and neck this weekend. I broke my D2 and have a decent bruise on my dome. Walked away with a minor concussion and some cuts on my forearm. Neck isn't sore and I'm still alive.
Is the D2 really done?

·
Two wheels are better
193 Posts
This is like the people who tell you that their "friend" got thrown from the car during a bad car crash and it ended up saving their life so now they don't wear a seatbelt anymore. Ridiculous.

Reactions: Sidewalk

·
Registered
461 Posts
There is some truth to this. Smashing in the front of your face will take some force off your neck in a chin first impact, but do you really want to smash the front of your face in? Full-faces are the way to go and if you are concerned about neck injury get a Leatt or comparable neck brace.

1 - 20 of 167 Posts