Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for recommendations for lightweight/well-ventilated full face helmets that would be suitable for non-enduro and downhill applications. I generally like rides more along the xc to trail side of the spectrum without huge gaps or really crazy gravity, but with pretty constant pedaling. I will occasionally do some more pedal up, ride down style stuff, but am definitely in it for the cardio at least as much as the downhills. As such, I've usually ridden with a half-shell, but I've also seen some people really annihilate themselves on trails, and I don't really race so counting grams isn't a concern. Let me know what's worked for you, or what you think might be an option!

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Diehard BELL helmets fan here.

This.

Usually I want a helmet that has an actual DH rating. But for trail to light XC riding, there isn't any need to go with some of the heavier more "enduro" full face helmets.

The Bell Super Air R is just one such helmet. It doesn't have the DH rating like their "actually not confusingly named" Super DH helmet (which is also a detachable chinbar helmet, but one that is rated for DH riding), and such is more breathable, and lighter by like 300g.

Sounds right up your alley.

·
Registered
237 Posts
A good option is the IXS Trigger FF. Its one of the lightest full face helmets on the market and it has a ratcheting adjuster (like a half shell).
I have this helmet in the MIPS version and wanted a FF for trail riding as well (have had several concussions and some other factors). I came from a half shell and really like it. I didn't use a FF before so I can't compare to others. I put it on a kitchen scale (I think mine is a M/L) and I think it was a little under 700 grams. Slightly hotter on hot days; don't really notice a temperature difference otherwise.

Other helmets that got suggested to me in another thread were the TLD Stage and the Fox Proframe. MIPS, light weight, and good ventilation were all absolute requirements for me. I think once those were met I just picked the color I liked best.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
I ride in an ISX Trigger FF for almost all of my trail rides and love it, but my trail rides tend to get pretty steep and rocky. It’s a fantastic light weight helmet and it’s barely perceptibly warmer than my Half shell to a heavy sweater like myself (I also run a halo sweatband under it). I was very interested in the Kali invader 2.0 as well though, it’s supposed to be better ventilated but didn’t have the DH rating I was looking for. May be perfect for you though!

·
Freezer
666 Posts
I have a TLD Stage and the Fox Proframe. The TLD is lighter, cooler, and less bulky than the Proframe. It's what I wear on trail rides when I want a full face.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ride in an ISX Trigger FF for almost all of my trail rides and love it, but my trail rides tend to get pretty steep and rocky. It’s a fantastic light weight helmet and it’s barely perceptibly warmer than my Half shell to a heavy sweater like myself (I also run a halo sweatband under it). I was very interested in the Kali invader 2.0 as well though, it’s supposed to be better ventilated but didn’t have the DH rating I was looking for. May be perfect for you though!
Just looked up the invader - that’s probably the top of my list right now, followed by the trigger ff and super air r! Good recs - it’s kind of a weird niche because what I’m looking for isn’t really “lightweight enduro helmet”, even, it’s lighter yet. If it fits in person it would be spot on.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I got a Bell Super 3R last year so I could use it full face at the park and 'regular' for my other riding, but I've recently started wearing it in FF mode for most of my riding because I'd hate to smash my face on a rock/tree and regret the fact that my chin bar was sitting at home because I didn't want to look like a dweeb!

I'm very interested in the Kali Invader 2.0 for next year. It's cooling down enough now the the Super 3R isn't too hot for the remainder of 2021.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
To the OP, I would go try on some helmets if possible, because they do have different shapes. So its important to find one that fits your head shape well.

After that, there are some full face helmets that fit, and secure like a motorcycle helmet (ie, fit is adjusted by swapping out foam padding, and using the double D ring closure system), while others fit/secure more like a typical bicycle helmet (the boa system cinching behind your head, a standard buckle/fidlock buckle).

In my experience, the ones that are more downhill focused fit more like motorcycle helmets, and feel hotter/sweatier (on average) than the ones that are designed a bit more like bicycle helmets. It might be worth paying attention to that as well.

Also its not released quite yet (article says Nov of this year), but Dainese has a new FF helmet coming out that is super light. It still has a DH certification, and has something like 30 vents, and weighs 570g. May be perfect for trail riding.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I love my TLD Stage. It breathes really well and the only thing that makes it feel any hotter than my half shell is the cheek pads. I don't mind pedaling in it at all. Planning on wearing it in Moab in a few weeks.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To the OP, I would go try on some helmets if possible, because they do have different shapes. So its important to find one that fits your head shape well.

After that, there are some full face helmets that fit, and secure like a motorcycle helmet (ie, fit is adjusted by swapping out foam padding, and using the double D ring closure system), while others fit/secure more like a typical bicycle helmet (the boa system cinching behind your head, a standard buckle/fidlock buckle).

In my experience, the ones that are more downhill focused fit more like motorcycle helmets, and feel hotter/sweatier (on average) than the ones that are designed a bit more like bicycle helmets. It might be worth paying attention to that as well.

Also its not released quite yet (article says Nov of this year), but Dainese has a new FF helmet coming out that is super light. It still has a DH certification, and has something like 30 vents, and weighs 570g. May be perfect for trail riding.

All of the LBS around here have TERRIBLE stock as far as helmets and apparel. Relatively basic options from specialized are all there really is to try on :/
Dainese helmet also looks cool! I think I’m gonna get some funny looks around here for my new FF next summer, but oh well.

·
Registered
331 Posts
In my opinion you cant beat the Kali Invader. Ive owned the MET and the Fox Proframe models and the Kali is lighter and breathes much better. Crucially because it is not trying to be a DH or enduro helmet, it’s a highly protective trail helmet for folks that plan on pedaling. The chin bar meets the downhill standard, but the helmet has too much breathing to meet the intrusion standard. But it doesn’t need to.

I find it fits my head perfectly and the Proframe worked for me too. The helmet breaths so well I don't think you need to consider a removable chin bar, as air moves in and ou have plenty of vision.

I wear it when I’m riding a trail system by me that is rock and more rock, with just a bit more rock for some spice. I haven’t had to test its protective qualities out and I hope I don’t have to.

Ive worn it through two very humid summers and it has worked a charm.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
All of the LBS around here have TERRIBLE stock as far as helmets and apparel. Relatively basic options from specialized are all there really is to try on :/
Dainese helmet also looks cool! I think I’m gonna get some funny looks around here for my new FF next summer, but oh well.
I’ve started riding with a group of more experienced riders on rocky, rooty trails they know like the backs of their hands, so I’m pushing to keep up. I turned up in my full face a couple of weeks ago and there were some comments, but screw it, I don’t want to be injured and unable to ride/ski.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.