Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a saracen ariel 3- 08 it has 140 mm travel and i was wondering is it ok to wear a full face helmet without looking like a noob? i do some fairly big jumps with some real technical stuff. cheers in advanced :)

G

·
what does the type of bike have to do with this equation? it's a bike you ride aggressively according to your OP! wear the helmet if it makes you comfortable.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Safety gear based on fork lenght????

For the love of God man will you do yourself a favour in life and stop worrying about conforming to what anyone else thinks is acceptable in what you do, wear or ride. Just wear what feels comfortable and safe to you and screw anyone else who passes coment on it. You'll get more respect in the long run anyway if you do ur own thing instead of just trying to blend in with the rest of the sheep.

·
Banned
726 Posts
You are gonna be miserable riding to make other people happy.

I have ruined my knee and had some pretty gnarly surgery to "repair" it. So I wear knee pads every time I get on the bike. No one else ever wears them around here, but they aren't me. And what is a simple spill and or bump to most can cripple me quite easily. Do I gove a **** what Mr. XC racer in team kit thinks about me? Not one iota.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I am in the same situation as musikron with knee issues. Only a few have said something to me about being afraid to fall or the like. I try not to be too sarcastic in my reply, since they really don't have any idea of my situation.
But your main reason is "Because I am" when they ask why you use what you use.*

*Might also work if you also wear a tutu and swim fins when you ride.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hmmm. Swim fins would probably have good traction on my flats but I think I might get wheel strikes too often. The pink tutu I see no issues with.

I wore my full face helmet riding my 100mm 29er hardtail last ride. This is on an intermediate trail. Couple good fast rocky downhill sections, technical boulders uphill sections too but nothing really requiring a full face helmet. I've never seen anyone on the trail wearing one before.

I wore it because I had never wore one before (got this one cheap at a going out of business sale for future use) and wanted to try it out. One person commented it looked like we were up to something serious. No one else said anything. Me? I don't care what they thought. I'm newish to all of this and having a blast and learning a ton. The best part is figuring out what is right for me and how I want to ride. I love hearing what people think about bikes and gear and what helps them since maybe it will work for me too, but as soon as it gets to talk about what is cool or dorky I ignore whatever it is. Hating on spandex, colors, protective gear choice, or style of clothes? I don't have the time or patience for that crap (which is rooted in childish insecurity). So don't care about what someone who does care about those things (not that I have run into many) thinks.

BTW the heat and inconvenience of drinking outweighed the extra protection for that trail, but if I was riding like the OP described, I would absolutely wear a full face helmet.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I shattered my right knee a few years ago and have lots of metal hardware as a reminder. I usually wear only a poc knee protector for that leg. Nobody has ever asked me why only one knee guard. I have seen enough guys wearing "unconventional" gear to not even look twice now.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
don't ever worry about looking like a noob by keeping yourself safe. If you feel safer, go for it. And for the record, I've been known to wear FF helmets when I know I'll be riding harder/riskier stuff. Those that mock are few and far between, and they're usually off to the side, not attempting anything themselves.

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
I know a guy who rides a 100mm hard tail XC bike and wears a full face helmet. He's fast, he rides pretty well, but we have a lot of runnins and gullies and washes around here we ride through. He hit one of those one day that had changed massively due to a heavy rain, and went OTB hard enough to break his jaw when he face planted on the other side. After he got out of the hospital, where they wired his jaw shut, he walked in the LBS one day carrying a milk shake (he was, literally, eating through a straw still) and ordered a very nice Troy Lee full face helmet. Apparently, as much as he enjoy's milk shakes, he doesn't like straws. Moral of the story? Wear a full face helmet anywhere you want to. After all, it's your face.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a saracen ariel 3- 08 it has 140 mm travel and i was wondering is it ok to wear a full face helmet without looking like a noob? i do some fairly big jumps with some real technical stuff. cheers in advanced :)
One thing to consider with a full face is air flow relative to the humidity and air speed on your ride. What I mean by that is, if you are doing technical stop and go in a very humid forest environment you may find a full face helmet problematic. The reason? Because some of these helmets do not breath well through the mesh at the front in these conditions and you get a buildup of carbon dioxide: you will have a tougher time breathing. (This is my experience)

If speed is up and you have a well designed helmet, this should not be an issue.

Remember that Shawn Palmer wore moto gear when everyone else was in spandex: giving everyone else the finger. Enjoy the ride: to hell with the conformists.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
One thing to consider with a full face is air flow relative to the humidity and air speed on your ride. What I mean by that is, if you are doing technical stop and go in a very humid forest environment you may find a full face helmet problematic. The reason? Because some of these helmets do not breath well through the mesh at the front in these conditions and you get a buildup of carbon dioxide: you will have a tougher time breathing. (This is my experience)

If speed is up and you have a well designed helmet, this should not be an issue.

Remember that Shawn Palmer wore moto gear when everyone else was in spandex: giving everyone else the finger. Enjoy the ride: to hell with the conformists.
THIS!

My worst crash (resulting in broken bones) was when I was wearing my TLD full face on a 90 deg hot humid day and I lost focus because I couldn't breath properly and suffered from heat exhaustion. The only time I use my FF now is when the temps are low and I'm going big. The larger coverage of today's AM helmets are plenty for most rides but to each their own. If you aren't as affected by heat and breathing and you really feel sketched out on the trail you intend to ride, then yeah, go FF and don't worry about what others think.

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Registered
469 Posts
naw man…you'd look cool…it'd even up your rep points.

If you have to ask, well - you probably already know the answer. If you're riding ish that warrants a full face while handling a 140mm travel bike then good for you, you're the man!

still, it'd look no more ridiculous than wearing this:
Metal Brass Bronze Armour Steel

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.