Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I need some help and advise on what brake set up I should get. I have a Fuji Sunfire that originally came with disc brakes but I got a downgraded one with just rim brakes. My rims are starting to get pretty worn down and I'm thinking I'm going to finally upgrade.

So far I've decided on getting Avid BB7's, I heard they are cheap and pretty good.
All I need now is wheels and cables. Is there a wheel set with everything fully assembled out there that is on the cheaper end? I don't want to get wheels and hubs all separate.
I assume I'm also going to need new cables as well, what cables would be good, and also on the cheaper/budget end? I'm not a hardcore biker or anything so I don't need extremly high strength/quality parts, so anything pretty good and on the cheaper end is what I'm looking for.
I looked around on other sites and couldn't find any answers so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
In that case, you can try the classified for "Valued" "pre-owned" , or just get disc wheelset cheap one probably around $150. When you get the BB7 it should already come with rotor and mounting adapters. Check pricepoint, bluesky, Jensen USA, Wheelworld. They are pretty reasonable.

I assume your fork is also disc ready, most are but just in case.

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts

·
No longer a hardtailkid.
1,830 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not the hardest rider, but I rather have a bit more strength and deal with the extra bit of weight.
Would this set up be decent?
https://www.blueskycycling.com/view_product.php?pid=5743
https://www.blueskycycling.com/view_product.php?pid=1630

I usually would spend a little bit more and get some good quality parts, but I'm a little short on money and I'm still not in need of a crazy brake set up. If I get better and start riding more, then I'll upgrade.

Also, what is the difference between the Shimano Deore Disc Wheelset W/Sun Rhyno Lite Rims, Shimano Deore Disc Wheelset w/ WTB Speed Disc XL Rims and the Shimano XT Disc Wheelset w/ Sun Rhyno Lite Rims?

·
No longer a hardtailkid.
1,830 Posts
To help us out a little, could you post the fork and back of your bike where the caliper mounts are, just so we know that you have them (I'm not calling you dumb, I just want to be sure it has mounts...)?

·
No longer a hardtailkid.
1,830 Posts
Speed Disc XL rims are for aggresive riding. They fit tires from like 2.2-2.6 if I remember correctly....definitely not for you.

·
No longer a hardtailkid.
1,830 Posts
Those brakes you posted are a good set and a good deal. The wheels....well I'm just not a fan of the Sun Rhyno Lites. They arent "Lite" and they do actually weigh as much as a small "Rhyno". Plus they're ugly :p

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
No longer a hardtailkid.
1,830 Posts
Oh. I was looking at another "Fuji Sunfire". Just go with the wheels in the link I posted. The tires alone are around $80.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I figured you where looking at the new ones lol
I'll get those wheels then, $56 for shipping but I get new tires, so why not lol. And they'll work with the BB7's?
Also, would those tires fit since they are wider than that original? Like clearance with the frame.

Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it.

·
No longer a hardtailkid.
1,830 Posts
Its $19.99 for shipping...???? Are you in like the north pole or something?!

·
No longer a hardtailkid.
1,830 Posts
Yup, they will work with BB7s....though I will say that the rotors that come with the BB7s are terrible. Everyone says they suck, and so do I

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lol, yes, I live in the north pole, almost. No I live in Canada so the shipping is a bit more expensive.
I'll try these rotors for now, like I said I'm a little short on money.
I also saw that you can get the G2 clean sweep rotors, are they any good? I can get them instead for an extra 5 bucks.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts