Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yeah, it’s a little wierd, but believe it not, the Shred has more tire clearance than a Pistola, even though the stays are shorter.

I’m running 29 x 2.6 DHF from and rear on Duroc 40 rims (i35), DT Swiss 350 hubs.

I just upgraded suspension “again”, now running a Cane Creek Helm MK2 Coil 29” 140mm travel with a 44 mm offset. Been experimenting with coils, started with the stock CC 55#, tried a Push 60#, settled on a CC 65#; CC only offers coils in 10# increments, but a few other branded coils fit.

The base Shred runs a 27.5 fork with 140-150mm travel and a tall lower cup. I’m running the short lower cup to compensate for the longer A2C of the 29” fork.

Out back I just swapped in an MRP Hazzard Coil Shock, started with a 450# Valt coil, this felt a touch soft, so I installed a 500# Valt coil this afternoon. I have a CC progressive coil, but it doesn’t ride well on a GG bike; linear coils ride better.

All told, the two coils add about 600gm to my bike weight, so heavier, but the bike rides so damp and smooth, no suspension spiking which is pretty nice.

And to top it off, now I’m running a domestic built frame, fork, and shock!

Reactions: gregnash

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
11,527 Posts
It’s probably because I’m surfing on an iPad, but anyway I can’t see the photo. Damn. Sounds like a bike I’d like to see. :)
=sParty

·
always licking the glass
2,388 Posts
This thread is useless without pics, Ben :)

The Shred Dogg is the only bike that officially runs 27.5+, but the Megatrail can clear a 2.8. So given this, I'm not surprised you can clear what you can as a 29er.

I'm surprised you changed suspension. I thought you really like the Mezzer? I'm still on the Ohlins, but I'm building two Megatrails and having them configured differently, and I think other than a DJ, I'll be good for bikes at that point.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Very interesting! So stock shock length I'm assuming?
How does the ride compare to the Pistola? I was planning to pick up some Trail Pistol stays in the spring for my Shred Dogg, but if I only need a short stack lower cup for the conversion that would be sweet.

·
always licking the glass
2,388 Posts
I bet the Shred dogg feels better as a 29er than a 27.5.

·
always licking the glass
2,388 Posts
How does the ride compare to the Pistola? I was planning to pick up some Trail Pistol stays in the spring for my Shred Dogg, but if I only need a short stack lower cup for the conversion that would be sweet.
I've got a spare short lower headset cup I'm not using if you're interested in buying it. I used it for a handful of rides when I was trying out the Pistola.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Pistola has a longer rear triangle, a lower bb, Max 130mm rear travel, clears a 2.5” tire.

The Shred has a shorter rear triangle, a higher bb, Max 140mm travel, clears a 2.6” tire.

If you have a Shred now, just get some 29” wheels, a short lower cup, and a 29” fork.

Honestly, I’m not sure why anyone would get a Pistola, the Shred works better. Now if you want a bigger 29er, the Smash might make sense.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bet the Shred dogg feels better as a 29er than a 27.5.
Yes and no, kinda depends on the terrain. I also have a FS 27.5 for goofing off, it’s more agile than the Shred 29er, but for rolling tech the big hoops win.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
The Pistola has a longer rear triangle, a lower bb, Max 130mm rear travel, clears a 2.5” tire.

The Shred has a shorter rear triangle, a higher bb, Max 140mm travel, clears a 2.6” tire.

If you have a Shred now, just get some 29” wheels, a short lower cup, and a 29” fork.

Honestly, I’m not sure why anyone would get a Pistola, the Shred works better. Now if you want a bigger 29er, the Smash might make sense.
Good to hear, I've got extra wheels and a fork so no issue there.
Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good to hear, I've got extra wheels and a fork so no issue there.
Thanks for the info!
Once you have it done and get some ride time, post your thoughts.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
11,527 Posts
Sparty, the backwards fork thread is in General Discussion. ;)

Is that a Mezzer?

I just put one on my bike about a week ago, but don't have it dialed in just yet.
Indeed it is a Mezzer. But that's an old photo -- well, this past summer -- that fork isn't on my Smash anymore. Last spring I wanted to try a Mezzer but could only find one in 180mm travel so I thought, "What the hell" and prodealed it anyway. Who could say whether or not I'd like my Smash's HA slacked out to 63°? Well, that aspect was okay but the long fork also shortened up the cockpit and slacked out the SA a bit too much for my liking. So I took the big Mezzer off and returned my trusty ol' 160mm PUSH coiled Pike to duty -- which felt like a lead balloon compared to the uber-squishy Mezzer. I love the plush feel of the Mezzer in comparison. I expect I'll put the Mezzer on an upcoming bike I've currently got on order (you don't want to know what it is). That bike should arrive by Feb/Mar.
You shouldn't have any trouble dialing your Mezzer in. That is to say I found it quite easy -- factory recommendos were close.
=sParty

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Indeed it is a Mezzer. But that's an old photo -- well, this past summer -- that fork isn't on my Smash anymore. Last spring I wanted to try a Mezzer but could only find one in 180mm travel so I thought, "What the hell" and prodealed it anyway. Who could say whether or not I'd like my Smash's HA slacked out to 63°? Well, that aspect was okay but the long fork also shortened up the cockpit and slacked out the SA a bit too much for my liking. So I took the big Mezzer off and returned my trusty ol' 160mm PUSH coiled Pike to duty -- which felt like a lead balloon compared to the uber-squishy Mezzer. I love the plush feel of the Mezzer in comparison. I expect I'll put the Mezzer on an upcoming bike I've currently got on order (you don't want to know what it is). That bike should arrive by Feb/Mar.
You shouldn't have any trouble dialing your Mezzer in. That is to say I found it quite easy -- factory recommendos were close.
=sParty
You can shorten the travel pretty easily on it. Mine's at 170 and I expect to leave it there.

Maybe I do want to know what you have on order?:p

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
11,527 Posts
You can shorten the travel pretty easily on it. Mine's at 170 and I expect to leave it there.

Maybe I do want to know what you have on order?:p
Yeah, after I swapped forks (from Mezzer back to Pike) another helpful MTBR member provided instructions on how easy it is to reduce travel on the Mezzer. I'm going to wait 'til I get the new sled (which comes with a 160mm Yari) to see how I like it and go from there. If it performs well enough as is, then I'll def put the Mezzer back on the Smash and reduce travel to... well, something in the 160mm-ish zone.

I think you already know what I've got on order but IIRC you're not on board with this particular kind of bike. I generally try to avoid conflict, so... :)

Did I mention I have an off-road motorcycle, too? :eek: For the most part if it has two wheels, I'm in. I even had a recumbent bike back in '00 when I bulged a disc in my back and wasn't sure if I'd ever be able to ride a "regular" bike again. Even that thing was fun in its own way. Give up cycling? Never.
=sParty

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Yeah, after I swapped forks (from Mezzer back to Pike) another helpful MTBR member provided instructions on how easy it is to reduce travel on the Mezzer. I'm going to wait 'til I get the new sled (which comes with a 160mm Yari) to see how I like it and go from there. If it performs well enough as is, then I'll def put the Mezzer back on the Smash and reduce travel to... well, something in the 160mm-ish zone.

I think you already know what I've got on order but IIRC you're not on board with this particular kind of bike. I generally try to avoid conflict, so... :)

Did I mention I have an off-road motorcycle, too? :eek: For the most part if it has two wheels, I'm in. I even had a recumbent bike back in '00 when I bulged a disc in my back and wasn't sure if I'd ever be able to ride a "regular" bike again. Even that thing was fun in its own way. Give up cycling? Never.
=sParty
Ah, I see. No worries, we're still friends. :)

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I didn't get on with the double coil so much, it seemed to deaden the ride, so I'm back on the Mara Pro and a Helm Coil.

Love Shred as a 29er, so capable, big hits, all day rides, solid all around bike.

Reactions: stripes
1 - 20 of 26 Posts