Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started out on a Switchblade then went to a QuasiMoto( only bike i regret ever selling) then switched brands. Tried a few Ventana Models, got bitten by the 29er bug, rode rigid SS for awhile, tried a 29fs not for me. Been on a Trek 69er this last year and loved it!! fun bike but yearning for Fs bike again. Scored a nice used SM of of ebay for next to nothing for a new project just need a fork, thinking a Boxxer might be fun.
Anyways i will be lurking and posting here now and then, picking brains for info. I hope i enjoy the SuperMoto half as much i did the Quasi.....

Bog

·
NOT Team Sanchez
1,973 Posts
Sweet dude, I've been wanting a SuMo, But I figure there's too much application overlay between the SuMo and EL G, welcome back!

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
Bog...how about some pics? :confused: ;)

Regarding the boxxer...I think it is a good choice. I have one on my Sunday and really like how it feels. I've contimplated trying it out on my SuMo, but it would really slack it out in its already low and slack configuration (my SuMo is Frankentitus'd).

Hicksville - I think the SuMo makes an incredible trailbike. I've got mine setup as a ~34# trailbike now. It is a bit heavy compared to some of the new 6" bikes out there, but I couldn't justify getting rid of the SuMo...especially since it is so damned versatile.

Photo time:
Stock geometry: 8.75"x2.75" shock with 8.75 x 2.75 coffin rocker
170mm 66rc2x
~67 degree HA
14.5" BB height
170 mm travel front and 6 or 7" rear
Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim

Slopestyle geometry: 8.5"x2.5" shock with 8.75 x 2.75 coffin rocker
170mm 66rc2x
~65-66 degree HA (yummy)
13.9" BB height
5.5 or 6.5 inch rear travel
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

Trailbike geometry: 8.5"x2.5" shock with 8.75 x 2.75 coffin rocker
Fox 36 Talas RC2 160/130/100mm (130mm numbers follow)
~67 degree HA (hell yes!)
13.3" BB height (I'm in singletrack love!)
5.5 or 6.5 inch rear travel
Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle fork Bicycle part

For me, the SuMo is the perfect all-rounder. I do wish for one thing, though...I wish it had a thru-axle rear end. Titus used to make them, but they are no longer available.

Make sure you both throw up some pictures when you can.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pics will follow

I will get some pics up but i am still waiting on delivery from the ups man. I ended up scoring a van 36 rlc for the frame, i think it will work out good. budget build!!

SuperMoto frame from ebay- 375.00
07 Fox Van rlc 275.000

Not bad so far.....just need a rear wheel, i missed a hadley 823 wheel last weekend for 165.00!!!!!

Bog

·
Will Guide for Beer
729 Posts
SuMo suggestion ...

I've been riding this SuMo for 3-4 months. It's an 05 that was never built of ridden. Inspiring me to ride at a higher level. As for my set up, it's really my last three bikes put together weighing in at 40lbs; limited funds, it will go on a diet when I can afford it.

Setup question: I have a 140mm Pike on it. I think that it rides extremely well, especially climbing. Most people are suggesting a larger fork (160mm). Am I loosing out on DH preformance with the slightly undersized fork?

Here's the pic, I've solved the problem with the saddle/seatpost ....

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Glutton for punishment
581 Posts
Latest Incarnation of mine...

bogmonster said:
I hope i enjoy the SuperMoto half as much i did the Quasi.....

Bog
I never got to ride a Quasi, I went from a Loco Moto to the Super Moto. Still lovin' it. Here's the latest incarnation, I just added:

36 Van R - Light years better than the AM SL 150 I had there. Really balances it out.
New wheels - DT 6.1 front, XT/Mavic 321 rear.
Maxxis Ardent 2.4 tires. These are HUGE. And awesomely grippy around here.
Proper 30.9 seatpost, seems better than the 27.2 w shim.

I'm looking at a deal on some Juicy's to replace the mechanicals but the bike really works for me. I did a 22 mile, 2800' of climbing ride on it on Sunday and didn't die. Can't keep up with the fast guys on light bikes, but so what.

You'll enjoy yours!

SN

Attachments

·
Glutton for punishment
581 Posts
It depends...

zul said:
I have a 140mm Pike on it. I think that it rides extremely well, especially climbing. Most people are suggesting a larger fork (160mm). Am I loosing out on DH preformance with the slightly undersized fork?
On how it feels to you on the downhills. I had an AM SL on mine for a while at 150mm. The fork dives so hard it really messes up the handling on the DH compared to the 36 Van. I also had an older Vanilla 125 for a bit - that was wayyyy to small.

Nice bike.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks geolover good amount of set up there, just got a Magura Wotan fork so hopefully next week pics will be posted. Looking like
slx groupset
magura louise brakes either fr or carbon
hope hubs
Magura Wotan forks but I have some Pace 150mm fighters Caron very light.need service though
thomson stem

target weignt 34lbs??????

Cheers

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Almost ready

Just waiting on wheelset to get here and she will be ready. To bad the forecast for the week is highs in the single digits!!! Going to build up a set of 650b wheels to see how they work with the bike, i know a 650b will work on the front, just not sure on the rear.

Mark

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
bogmonster said:
Just waiting on wheelset to get here and she will be ready. To bad the forecast for the week is highs in the single digits!!! Going to build up a set of 650b wheels to see how they work with the bike, i know a 650b will work on the front, just not sure on the rear.

Mark
Let me know how it works out. I am about to pull the trigger on a front 650b....I doubt that it'll work on the rear, but I'm hopeful.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bb Height

THE ONLY WORRY IS IF THE REAR DOES FIT IS THE BB HEIGHT, ITS ALREADY TALL SO I REALLY DONT WANT TO ADD ANOTHER 1/2 INCH. fRONT WILL ROCK FOR SURE!!!!

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
bogmonster said:
THE ONLY WORRY IS IF THE REAR DOES FIT IS THE BB HEIGHT, ITS ALREADY TALL SO I REALLY DONT WANT TO ADD ANOTHER 1/2 INCH. fRONT WILL ROCK FOR SURE!!!!
My franken SuMo BB height is ~13.3...the 650b will do it some good.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
650b front

Well ordered a velocity 650 front wheel today we will see how it goes. I will be running it in 6" rear travel with the coffin rocker and a Van 36 160mm travel up fromt. I am hoping the bb height inst more than 14.25. It was a high of -2 here today so it will be some time before i can give it a real test.

Bog

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No pics yet

i am waiting for the rest of my parts before i take pics. The 650 wheel helps roll over obstacles better, like a 29er but not so extreme and it works with alot of 26er forks. I just came off a trek 69er with a 29er up front and loved it!! so iam going to give the 650 wheel a try.

Bog

1 - 17 of 17 Posts