Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what about a full HT carbon bike in terms of comfort? And I mean FULL, from the wheels to saddle and of course the frame.

I don’t want to compare to a FS but maybe with the right flex spot is a very noticeable upgrade in terms of comfort compared to a lets says an aluminum bike or even a frame alone carbon bike?

Or maybe it’s like “a HT is going to be always a HT”

Recently I swapped to a cheap chinese carbon seat post and saddle and let me tell you, is noticeable more comfy, frame and wheels still aluminum but I don’t know if they chinese are way to flex ...

·
Registered
616 Posts
I’d bet you could blind taste test carbon, aluminum, steel and titanium, same wheels, same components and not be able to tell which is which. Especially on a 29” with 2.4+ tires at 20 psi.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I'd bet you could blind taste test carbon, aluminum, steel and titanium, same wheels, same components and not be able to tell which is which. Especially on a 29" with 2.4+ tires at 20 psi.
I agree with this. This is a myth. Frame material does not change ride quality. Let some air out of your tires if the ride is rough. Pump your tires up hard if you want to feel the high frequency vibration. A tire can deflect 100x more than the whole length of the frame.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Call it flex call it absortion ... my carbon saddle and seatpost gave me a softer ride and I already got some 3” tires on my hardtail. So i feel maybe a frame and wheels it’s comfy (not performy 😂) enough to no need a FS.

·
Registered
616 Posts
IMO a hard tail is a hard tail is a hard tail but a good steel or titanium frame will have you less fatigued after a 15-20 mile ride. I will also agree that tires are real important on a hardtail if you're looking for a little comfort.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
I completely agree with OP's premise- carbon is the most effective placebo there is. If you've found indiscriminately distributed carbon is an effective placebo, increasing its use is a surefire way to get more betterness.

On the other hand, if your carbon placebo isn't working, an alternate material used in a different (or possibly the same) design might offer more comfort or whatever you're looking for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.