Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I was given this bike by my former boss when I moved to the US. Been using it lightly the last 6 or so years. Now the kids are getting old enough, we're hitting the trails, lightly for mow.

I'm pretty sure that the bike is from the 90's, but has had modifications made it to.

I think the 38 tooth cog on the crankset might be a bit bent and in general it needs a service.

Wondering if I should put the money/effort in to some fixes and improvements, or sell it and buy a modern mountain bike. If I did buy a new one I'd be looking at a Trek Marlin 6.

So, what am I looking at here? Should I keep it and fix it?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

· EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,333 Posts
you have a mid-low range standard mtb from 1993-ish

not upgradable to modern standards, but a decent bike
should fix what is needed and flip it, or keep as a spare when your marlin is down for whatever reason

· Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,430 Posts
FYI, you have cantilever brakes (short pull ratio) and V brake levers (long pull ratio), so I'm guessing your brakes feel like grabbing bricks, even with the leverage adjustment dialed down as it is.

Some short pull levers, (or V brakes), would likely help things feel a lot nicer.

· Registered
1,804 Posts
You have a good bike for tooling around with the kids on street and light dirt. Nice thing is that its fairly serviceable. You should be able to find replacement chainrings for it, they're individually replaceable. Some cheap stuff is riveted together. You can find cheap clone V brakes new, or there are a ton of oldies used ones out there. The LX V brakes that match those levers are fine workhorse brakes.

· Registered
2,402 Posts
If you can fix it up yourself, go for it. If you have to take it to a shop, just sell it.

Even in perfect condition that bike isn't going to be worth much. Better to find a new home for it & a new/better bike for yourself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.