Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So I just recently got into mountain biking. I don't have an extraordinary amount of money so I decided to go with a Fuji Nevada 29er 2.1. I had a chance to purchase a fuji on craiglist a while back. Enjoy the bike, but it was a little out of my price range. So I waited awhile and got the 2.1, so far I'm enjoying it and feeling out the sport. I was just posting on here because I was wondering what would be a good start to upgrade the bike.

The specs are as follows:

bottom bracket:FSA square taper with sealed cartridge bearing
brakes:Tektro alloy, linear pull
cassette:SunRun freewheel, 13-34T, 7-speed* (replaced)

chain:Fixed Star, FG-50, 7-speed
crankset:Vuelta alloy, 44/32/22T with chainguard
fork:SR Suntour SF13-M3020 with 63mm travel
frame:Main Frame: Elios 1 steel with PowerCurve down tube, tri-shaped top tube, oversized seat tube; Rear Triangle: Elios 1 steel with cold-forged dropout

front derailleur:
Shimano Tourney, TZ31, 31.8mm
grips/tape:Oval dual-density Kraton
handlebar:Fuji steel rise bar, 6° degree sweep, 25.4mm diameter, 660mm wide, 30mm rise
headset:FSA 1 1/8" caged bearings+E596
levers:Shimano EF40 2-finger brake/shifter combo
pedals:plastic platform
rear derailleur:Shimano Tourney, TX35, 7-speed
rear shock:NA
saddle:Oval Mountain with satin steel rails
seatpost:Fuji, alloy double-bolt micro-adjust, 28.6x350mm
shifters:Shimano EF40 EZ Fire, 7-speed
stem:Fuji, melt-forged alloy, 25.4mm clamp diameter, 20° rise
tires:Vera Eos, 29 x 2.1", 30 TPI
wheelset:
Front: Formula FM21; Rear: FM31; alloy 32H hubs, Vera Terra SPM16

*Performance Bike replaced the SunRun due to faulty part. I got a better cassette.

Attachments

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Well really it depends on what you feel you "need" to upgrade. Unfortunately the bike does not seem to be setup with the capability for disc brakes which will limit your upgrades somewhat, not necessarily a bad thing for a beginner.

Honestly, I would probably stick with the bike for the time being and save your money for something better vs upgrading. If you bought this bike from an LBS, talk with them about your needs/wants, build a good relationship and then see about a possible "trade-in" program where you would use your current bike as a trade-in. Not all shops do this but can be a great asset.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the wheels could certainly be upgraded, but I don't want to yet because I'm not really doing any extreme yet. I'll probably just end up replacing them as they fall apart. Yea, I got this bike thinking I'd just test the sport out and see if I want to continue. I love trail riding around the Boise foothills and love being on the bike. I'll probably just ride it out and then just get a better bike down the line.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.