Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Plan #123-D
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone riding a Fugitive in short travel mode with a 150mm fork? Curious as to how you like the set-up...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm not sure why you would personally. The eye to eye is the same, and only the stroke changes. So you get a little bit higher bb and a few other geo changes, but without doing the math, I think its pretty minimal. I've not run the fugitive in ST, but if you're running a 150 fork, I think you're better off with 135mm in the back instead.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I bought my Fugitive frame and forked it at 150mm with both short and long travel variants of the shock (the Float DPS and the Cane Creek dbCoil). The bike still feels burly with the shorter travel shock, but the longer travel variant just gives that little bit extra oomph. The geometry should be roughly the same as the bike is sagged as the eye to eye doesn't change. The bike is a lot peppier, poppier, and eager to pedal with the shorter travel shock. You can't go wrong either way!

·
Plan #123-D
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, I tried it...and dig it for sure. I bought a 2019 DPS and in the couple of short rides so far I'm not missing the LT.

My motivation to try ST mode was threefold:
1. The short travel shock size was on closeout
2. I was interested in the snappy pedaling that the ST reviews have mentioned (I haven't
had concerns with the snappiness in LT mode, but was still a little curious. I mean, can
15mm make that much of a difference? I have a Transition Patrol for bigger days, so
giving up some rear travel on the Knolly isn't much of an overall sacrifice.
3. I ride a small frame and can't fit a water bottle with a piggy back shock (seriously, this
was some of my motivation and I didn't want a non piggy back in LT)

Current build highlights:

Lyrik Ultimate at 150mm, 42mm offset
DPS shock at 120mm
DT Swiss M1700 30 wheels
GX drivetrain with Zee brakes

It's a relatively budget build (all things considered), but it was built for durability in a max budget of $4200

So far, I've ridden this frame with a 160mm 51 offset Lyrik RCT3 and the following LT shocks: RS Super Deluxe, Fox X2, and Fox DPX2

The picture here in 150 / 120 mode is so far my favorite. It is noticeably snappier with the ST shock in the ups and flats. I don't feel like I've given much up on the downs either. My local trails are Mt. Galbraith in Bellingham, so I certainly have access to some gnarly stuff. I would not hesitate to ride much of it in this current configuration. It doesn't feel unbalanced at all - in fact I think it's more balanced than when it's been in 160 / 135 mode.

At any rate, I'm super pumped about it and will be keeping it as is for a while. I think it's the perfect trail bike.

In a different thread, I'll share some more details and thoughts about all the various configurations I've tried with this frame.

FYI, I'll be selling at least one of my LT shocks if anyone is interested (Fox DPX2 and Fox X2).

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
Interested! Looking forward to your thoughts on the several shock options!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts