Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried running a 29er front with a 27.5 (plus) rear? Too slack or awesome?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'd check the BB height as the Fuel is a little low. With a 27.5 rear instead of 29 it might be awesome, it might be pedal strikes everywhere...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi,
I’m trying this too on my fex 2017. 29x2.4 front and 27.5x2.8 rear.
Mino-link is in high setting, bb height is around 230mm.
How is yours, do you like it?
Same, except 2.5 Minion in front. I’ve loved it. The high mino setting puts the BB about the same as full 29 in low mino, which is good. Maybe a little bit more precision in the front vs the 2.8 plus wheel that came with it. And I like the slightly lower gearing vs the 29, for steep ups (I guess I notice it?)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Guys!!!! This bike rocks as a mullet with dpx2. Today I rode some xc trails near me. It's more dynamic and energetic than before, corners better, handling is so much better in turns. No pedal strikes! Still climbs great, no cons at all! Like a new bike! So awesome! I'm pumped and glad I tried it!

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you are running a 27.5+ tire in the rear, the overall diameter is really close to a 29er so not really a mullet bike...
Not really close, there is a visual difference in diameter.
A almost mullet then? I read some articles and threads that people are using 2.8 tires with mullets... I’m also running 2.8 rear tire. So..., it works for me ;) it gives me a head angle which I like ;)

PS. Check Intense Primer Pro mullet with 27.5+ rear

·
Live Free & Ride
1,574 Posts
I am still building my FEX frame and really set on 29 both ends. Some of these 2.8 tweener tires actually measure out to be closer to 2.6 inch. I would much rather put a 2.6 - 29er tire on the rear than a 27.5. Having already done the mullet thing on my 29er 3 years ago, it did not improve the bike handling...in fact it made the bike more unbalanced and slow in the rear. More tire choices now in 29er....2.4, 2.5 and 2.6 to bump up the volume on both ends...plus the FEX is a frame that will allow it!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am still building my FEX frame and really set on 29 both ends. Some of these 2.8 tweener tires actually measure out to be closer to 2.6 inch. I would much rather put a 2.6 - 29er tire on the rear than a 27.5. Having already done the mullet thing on my 29er 3 years ago, it did not improve the bike handling...in fact it made the bike more unbalanced and slow in the rear. More tire choices now in 29er....2.4, 2.5 and 2.6 to bump up the volume on both ends...plus the FEX is a frame that will allow it!
Yeah I’m a bit worried that the changes in geo may vary using different tires with different diameter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts