Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Richrider said:
What fork is everyone using on their Fuels? Particularly those that have upgraded from the spec fork. I have a fuel 100 and refuse to ride the SID any longer.
I switched from the noodly SID XC to a Marzocchi Marathon S coil 105mm. It's a great match for the fuel. It's heavier than the air forks but way plusher and stiff. The ETA locks down for super steep climbs.

·
Registered
304 Posts
:(

Damn. I'm still running the stock Manitou SX-R on my old Fuel. I thought about upgrading, but decided it would be okay to blow this one up first. Eventually, I'll get something different.

·
2,548 Posts
Spaz said:
:(

Damn. I'm still running the stock Manitou SX-R on my old Fuel. I thought about upgrading, but decided it would be okay to blow this one up first. Eventually, I'll get something different.
LOL !!!!! Same here, Spaz .....Figure I'll upgrade when the SX-R gives up the ghost.....but it ain't giving it up, yet...hehheh. My brother has an even older SX (perhaps later 90s) on his Mantra, claims it still works fine...he loves that old oddball bike :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
i'm using a modified 2000 sid race.......

Richrider said:
What fork is everyone using on their Fuels? Particularly those that have upgraded from the spec fork. I have a fuel 100 and refuse to ride the SID any longer.
i had it converted from a 63 mm to an 80 mm and i find it does the job.
i'm 220 lbs and my fuel weighs 23 lbs,many people have said i should go for the 100 mm fox but i dont understand what the difference would feel like?
surely it would dive more?
why would a rider prefare the 100 mm over the 80 mm? could someone describe the ride characteristics? :confused:

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
marco said:
i had it converted from a 63 mm to an 80 mm and i find it does the job.
i'm 220 lbs and my fuel weighs 23 lbs,many people have said i should go for the 100 mm fox but i dont understand what the difference would feel like?
You should go to just about any fork other than the SID. The SID is a noodly excuse for a fork at my weight......and I only weigh 170#. At your weight, the SID is way too weak. You will be amazed at the difference in handling, even if you switch to a Float 80mm. With 100mm, you'll get a plusher ride in addition to the great handling. THe extra travel will slow the steering slightly, but I think the Fuel is a bit twitchy to begin with.....so this is a good thing.

marco said:
surely it would dive more?
See below

marco said:
why would a rider prefare the 100 mm over the 80 mm? could someone describe the ride characteristics? :confused:
See the other answers, below.

Converting to a 100mm Fox would do the following:

PROS:

-25% more travel (read plusher)
-much stiffer fork, better control

CONS:

-could dive more (not much more) unless you get an SPV fork

Differences (neither pro nor con)

- Longer Axle to Crown measurement will decrease the Head angle by about 0.5* - 0.75*

The longer A-C measurement will slow the steering slightly, but will improve downhill handling.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi - I posted this in some other threads and waiting for an answer. Just recently got a 2003 Fuel 98 from Bike Shop - it was old model but new - meaning I am the first owner. The guy said the Fox Float RL rear blew up so they "upgraded" it to a SID for th rear - so running sids front and back. Anyone tell me if this is truly an upgrade and whether it worth making them give me a replacement Float RL. They may not since I got a good deal and I think it was a demo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.