Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bike Geek
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased one of these and have some issues with the bike. My buddy is a mechanic at the shop where I purchased it and I was there while he put it together. While he was doing it he noticed some play in the rear suspension. Has anyone else experienced this with their's? I also have a weird clunk in the fork. It sounds as if the headset is loose but it isn't. Anyone have any ideas? I took it for a ride today and its still doing all of this. Its going back tomorrow and the owner said he will call trek and see what they say. I love the ride its a great bike, I am just a bit bummed about the suspension issues.

·
Foreign Entity
275 Posts
When do you hear the clunk in the rear fork, is it on compression or rebound?
I have had both a Manitou SX-Ti and a Judy SL that would clunk if I didn't set the rebound correctly, it would extend really quickly and make a clunk noise as it hit full extension. The same could happen if you didn't have the compression set up right.
Look into the fork setup for your weight and type of riding before you just write it off as defective.

As for the frame, I can't help you there, sorry.

·
Bike Geek
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The clunk is in the front fork but I think thats what you meant. I hear it when I hit something hard. So I guess its on compression. I can make it do it if I raise the front and bang it down on the ground too.

Its a Reba team and I don't have any control of the compression right now. I am putting a poplock on it which will give me control of the compression. Its spring activated and I didn't like the dual control of the front together so I have the rear on its own contoler and will have the front on the poplock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Air leak

I just got my EX9 last month, just a few good rides so far due to the wacky weather in the Chicago area. No frame or fork issues but I did have the following:

Air leak in rear shock, air leak was where the top and bottom of the air can come together, took it apart and put it back together, so far so good so I just think may have been a litte loose.

Front rotor rub, reset piston a few times and after break in rub has now gone away.

This is my 1st FS bike so there is a learning curve that I am still sorting out, lots more stuff to go wrong and or adjust.

·
Bike Geek
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The guys at the shop got my issues worked out. The headset was loose on the front due to a part being misplaced, a cup or a cone something along those lines. The loose rear suspension was due to a spacer that was out of specs. They ground it down and its tight as can be. I also had a stick flip up into my derailluer yesterday which broke it. The shop owner didn't have a rapid rise XT so he took a XTR derailluer off of another bike and sold it to me for the price of the XT. Very cool bunch of folks at R+M Cyclery in Springfield Ilinois

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
Brewboy74 said:
The guys at the shop got my issues worked out. The headset was loose on the front due to a part being misplaced, a cup or a cone something along those lines. The loose rear suspension was due to a spacer that was out of specs. They ground it down and its tight as can be.
That is some crazy stuff to have going on when they hand the bike off to you. Both issues seem strange to miss with a test ride in the parking lot or to not diagnose immediately. But I'm not a professional mechanic so who knows.

Let's hear a ride report! I went from a rigid to a Fuel 90, and it was a great bike. Tons-o-fun for years!

Mr. P

·
Bike Geek
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have two rides on it and its great. I is a bit twitchy compaired to my Truth but I like it for racing. I barely notice the suspension working while I ride which is very nice. The lock out for the front and rear is great. I am sure I will learn more about the bike with a bit more time.

The issues were not missed with the test ride. My buddy is the mechanic who built the bike. Both issues were not harmful to the bike so I took it to ride over the weekend and they were easily resovled today. I was a bit surprised that they sent a project one bike out in that condition, with the headset messed up and spacers out of spec. It was easily fixed and I am a happy camper now.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Brewboy74 said:
I have two rides on it and its great. I is a bit twitchy compaired to my Truth but I like it for racing. I barely notice the suspension working while I ride which is very nice. The lock out for the front and rear is great. I am sure I will learn more about the bike with a bit more time.

The issues were not missed with the test ride. My buddy is the mechanic who built the bike. Both issues were not harmful to the bike so I took it to ride over the weekend and they were easily resovled today. I was a bit surprised that they sent a project one bike out in that condition, with the headset messed up and spacers out of spec. It was easily fixed and I am a happy camper now.
I'm a bit surprised that your buddy didn't notice anything wrong with the headset. If he built the bike...he had to install the fork into the headset.
Like you said....no harm done.

·
Bike Geek
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup no harm. It was a part inside the cup which was already installed. I think its called a cone. Not sure but for sure the mechanic that built it up should have noticed. It is a project one bike and I have the guys name who built it. You get a sheet that shows his build checkoff. I should call Trek............lol.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Brewboy74 said:
Yup no harm. It was a part inside the cup which was already installed. I think its called a cone. Not sure but for sure the mechanic that built it up should have noticed. It is a project one bike and I have the guys name who built it. You get a sheet that shows his build checkoff. I should call Trek............lol.
You should call Trek. Seriously.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.