Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Novice/intermediate rider looking to upgrade back to an FS. I'm really not that knowledgeable about components, geometry, etc; please help to educate me.

I've kind of narrowed it down to these two bikes. Done some reading, and had a conversation in my LBS about them. Looking for more insight. The spec sheets mean nothing to me, as I don't know the technical differences between the components.

I ride all single track, do a decent amount of climbing, and the associated mild downhill on the return, and some mild technical sections. I'm really not a super aggressive rider, speed is not my thing, I'm not racing either.

Can you guys differential the characteristics of these bikes? Is one of them more suited toward me than the other? I have no experience on 29ers but I'm kind of reluctant to move to one because I've been given the impression that they're good if you ride fast (which I don't) and can sometimes be less nimble in technical sections. That's why I've also picked the Remedy 650b, seems like it might be a happy medium. LBS told me that the remedy might be too much bike and travel for my riding style. I'm also concerned with the OEM weight of the bike. Anyone know which would be heavier of the two? I don't plan on mod-ing either bike at all.

I know that I need to go out and ride these bikes at the shops, I'd just like to know what I'm sitting on before I do so. Thanks a lot in advance. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 2 cents...ride em both, then pick the fuel lol.

Based on what you wrote above about riding style...of the two bikes I would agree with your lbs. The remedy isn't the best fit. The fuel is going to be the better climber, and even with those big 29er wheels it is nimble.

Also..the big wheels are not just about speed. They also clear things like roots n rocks easier. Additionally, if you find it is a little fast, that fuel has a pretty nice set of brakes.

·
Registered
124 Posts
what about the fuel makes it better suited for my riding?
I was in the same boat as you w/ these two bikes (but ended up getting a used Superfly AL 100 Pro b/c I couldn't turn down the price, even if I was sacrificing travel). In the end I'd choose the Fuel. Both bikes can do-it-all. But the Remedy is made (from my understanding) to be an aggressive all-mountain bike. You could do some DH on it too.

The Fuel will be better made for your type of riding. Like Jason said it will climb better, its lighter, and made for the type of riding you mentioned. I just got my first 29er FS too and the wheels are not that big of a change than you might think (I am coming from a basic Trek HT 26). I just had my second day on the Superfly FS 29er and am already loving the big wheels.

When I was looking at those two bikes, the Remedy seemed "cooler" to me and I was leaning towards it for awhile, but realized that I wasn't doing the type of riding to warrant the extra "bike" it gave. The Remedy is more expensive too is it not? Something else to think about.

(Full disclosure, I am fairly new to the sport as well and my above statements are only based on my research and the single time I got to test ride both the Remedy and Fuel back to back in a parking lot).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the input guys, its helpful. I too am more attracted to the remedy and the 27.5 tires but I think it's because I'm kind of anxious about the 29s. I'll have to try them both out if I can.

Does anyone think it would be idiotic to go with the 26in Fuel EX8?. Is 26 going to be dead in a couple of years or is it truly just a preference thing?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Your not riding extreme stuff and you do go up, correct?

The fuel is a better climber than the remedy (geometry, suspension, and those big grippy wheels). The fuel with 120mm travel suspension isn't designed for big drops n jumps. Its designed to be a great all around trail bike.

Check out the fuel thread in the trek section. Read how other owners describe the fuel and its ride.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Based on your description also agree with the LBS suggestion, component wise they are about the same; the difference is the wheel size and slacker geometry on the Remedy.

Demoed both last fall and the Fuel was good on the XC trails but the Remedy was a lot more fun going down rough stuff and shuttle runs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, you guys have cleared it up. I'm going to have to face my 29er fears and check out the Fuel. The Remedy is pretty attractive but if it's not going to climb as well as I'm used to, that would be a big disappointment. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Throwing more fuel on the fire ,i your nor stuck on Trek's . There are bikes out there with 27.5 wheels that are more in line with how you want to ride than the Remedy, Giant anthem, Santa Cruz 5010 are two there are more. Check the MTBR compare-o or the Bike mag bible of tests.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot- I'm not opposed to other brands, I've just ridden a few Treks, like my Trek dealer, and am admittedly a creature of habit. I actually had a thread last week looking for bike suggestions too but didn't get a ton of recommendations. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
You need to delay the gratification and try both or different types. I can't fault either after trying both and different brands.

I found what most would call the advantage of each. After renting demos to know the differences for whole rides I sure got how the 29r lumber truck mode could be an advantage as much as I found smaller wheel bikes easier for tricky stuff and pumping.

You can have my conclusion here but still, you need to do what I said to begin with. In the end I liked what was most playful and that where the big wheels lost me. I'm pretty sure I'd want the 29r if I was a racer but for all purpose riding and fun don't want to give up pumbability and easier popping over or off of stuff.

Have fun shopping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.