Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need the scoop on the Fuel Ex7. Anyone out there have some thoughts on this bike? I just read a rather favorable review of the Ex9 in one of the magazines and I'm hoping much of the high praise can be extended to the lesser Ex7. I wonder if the bike weighs in under 30lbs? I believe I've narrowed down the bike search to two bikes: the Ex7 or a Giant Trance 2 or 3. I think I want the fuel to be the better bike bcz my preferred LBS carries the Fuels, but then again everyone seems to love the Trance so I'm torn. So fill me in on the good and the bad with the Fuel, or Trance for that matter.

·
Bike Geek
283 Posts
I just got an EX9 yesterday and can say that the ride is superb. I have a few issues with the bike but they are specific to my bike and not the design. Mine weighed in at 28.7 pounds so I would bet that it is definately over 30 lbs. My last bike was an Ellsworth Truth and I actually like the ride of this bike beter than it. Thats saying alot because I loved my Truth. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My buddy bought a Fuel EX-7 last week. He absolutely loves it. He's ridden it three times so far. I also rode it down one downhill and up one climb. My first impression was the suspension is amazing. The Reba SL soaks up small chatter bumps incredibly well. The downhill I went down wasn't too rough so I don't know how it handles the big hits. My buddy said it does really well on small and big hits. On the climb the SP Valving worked great. I had the rear in fully active but it bobbed too much. I switched it over to firm and it felt perfect for climbing. Active but quite firm. A great all around trailbike. I'm not too sure why anyone would pay the extra money for the EX8. They are too similar to justify the money in my opinion.

I have another freind who bought a EX9 for his wife. She loves it but it's her first bike so that basically means she loves the color ;). I think it would be a sweet ride though.

BTW, the EX7 comes in just under 30lbs for a medium.

·
Registered
551 Posts
the shop i work at has a trance 3 and fuel ex 7 in, we dont do too much in higher end mountain bikes a lot more road smaller shop. The fuel is a tank but its got a reba and LX cranks. also motion control front and rear. The trance has a duke and a fox float r no stable platform of any kind. Also its got hayes soles where as the fuel has HFX-9's. I dunno which one to get ride them both and get the one you like.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm looking at the same bikes

dmccros1 said:
I need the scoop on the Fuel Ex7. Anyone out there have some thoughts on this bike? I just read a rather favorable review of the Ex9 in one of the magazines and I'm hoping much of the high praise can be extended to the lesser Ex7. I wonder if the bike weighs in under 30lbs? I believe I've narrowed down the bike search to two bikes: the Ex7 or a Giant Trance 2 or 3. I think I want the fuel to be the better bike bcz my preferred LBS carries the Fuels, but then again everyone seems to love the Trance so I'm torn. So fill me in on the good and the bad with the Fuel, or Trance for that matter.
I rode the Ex-7 at my LBS. We weighted it and it was over 30 lbs. on their scale (I can't vouch for its accuracy). I want to buy a bike form them but it's more important to get the right bike. Most recent issue of Mountain Bike Action reviews both the ex-9 and Trance 1. They seem much more impressed with the Trance. it would be worth your while to pick up the mag.

·
Registered
97 Posts
gingy said:
I rode the Ex-7 at my LBS. We weighted it and it was over 30 lbs. on their scale (I can't vouch for its accuracy). I want to buy a bike form them but it's more important to get the right bike. Most recent issue of Mountain Bike Action reviews both the ex-9 and Trance 1. They seem much more impressed with the Trance. it would be worth your while to pick up the mag.
I have that MBA issue at home. Althought you have to take with a grain of salt what they publish (don't ever recall seeing a bad review of a bike in any magazine I read), they gave the Trance 1 a whole lot more praise than the EX9.

I have not riden any of these bike, but I do have a friend who just recently bought an EX7. Coming from a HT and just a few rides, she was very happy. Her husband who rides a Giant AC2 was very impressed with the bike. I also have another friend who bought a Trance 1, last I spoke to him it was on the way to the shop from Vancouver, so no test reports yet.

BTW (to Scooterman), the Trance with it's Fox Float R has ProPedal which is the Fox version of stable platform technology. I believe that all Fox rear shocks have ProPedal now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wild74 said:
I have that MBA issue at home. Althought you have to take with a grain of salt what they publish (don't ever recall seeing a bad review of a bike in any magazine I read), they gave the Trance 1 a whole lot more praise than the EX9.

I have not riden any of these bike, but I do have a friend who just recently bought an EX7. Coming from a HT and just a few rides, she was very happy. Her husband who rides a Giant AC2 was very impressed with the bike. I also have another friend who bought a Trance 1, last I spoke to him it was on the way to the shop from Vancouver, so no test reports yet.

BTW (to Scooterman), the Trance with it's Fox Float R has ProPedal which is the Fox version of stable platform technology. I believe that all Fox rear shocks have ProPedal now.
I ordered an EX7 last weekend, will be getting it here soon (day or 2). I road a smaller size and loved it. Yes, it is on the heavy end ...especially compared to the $400 MORE Trance2, but the ride was great. The components seem pretty good (LX crank and XT rear der) and some Bontrager stuff (probably why its heavy?) the frame is smooth because it uses sealed bearings instead of bushings. I bought it because it seemed tough bike that would take some abouse...along with a good price $1600.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trek Fuel Ex 7 Review in Summary

i have owned a Trek Fuel Ex7 for 5 weeks now.
Ridden road bikes since school days and started recently on MTB as cross training for Trail Bike Riding - ie. fitness and skill.

I have ridden lower end machines but not machines that compare with the Fuel so my opinion is based purely on this machine.
Everytime we return from two hours riding in the back hills of Brisbane I am exhillerated.
The terrain is up hill and down dale. Fire trails with wash outs which are great for jumping.
Not serious air compared to the Xtreme riders but a lot of fun nonethe less.

The terrain around here is wide and varied. So, some of the tighter trails require technique and the uphill tracks more of the same plus plenty of stamina. As I have improved the bike just keeps on keeping on. I feel that it will keep me satisfied.

Going down hill, I am not quite as fast as the young bloke on a freestyle bike. He is 12, fearless and only a few feet of the ground compared to me.
But, I am not far behind. To be fair it is more me getting my shoulders and bulk through sets of trees that slows me down.

The bike is stable in all conditions. I have set the suspension according to manufacurers recommendations and then varied it to suit my motor bike riding experiences.
So, I found the front washing out a bit on soft trail bends. I checked the air pressure in compression and rebound and set it to 120lbs ( I am 190lbs). The tyre pressure at 16 i think. I find the adjustable dial on the top of the oil fork fantastic. It is easy mid ride to reach down and vary it to suit the approaching trail. If the trail is getting soft or lumpy I can just soften the damping or vice versa, as we hill climb turn it to off.
All of this is repeatable in the rear shock too. I got over any 'technophobia' pretty quickly and it is al pretty simple. Just set the sag right - 15 % up front and 25% at the rear if memory is correct.
If I was going to do a very long down hill trail, I would unclip feet, lower seat in readiness. But, I find the cleated Nike MTB shoes too effecient to lose. Good luck in your purchase.
I am happy with it. I love cleaning at the end of every ride too. So, the componentry is sufficiently sexy to warrant boy time at the end of the day. ( I owned several ducatis and enjoyed the quality of the components as much as the ride).
Regards,
AC

·
Registered
22 Posts
I picked my up on Friday and have only had it out a few times. WOw...coming from a roadbike this is very different (Trek5500). The bike feels tough and rides smooth. I'm looking to get it out on some trails the next couple of days (weather being the biggest factor) and will comment some more. For the money, i really think its spec'd very well.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
scooterman said:
the shop i work at has a trance 3 and fuel ex 7 in, we dont do too much in higher end mountain bikes a lot more road smaller shop. The fuel is a tank but its got a reba and LX cranks. also motion control front and rear. The trance has a duke and a fox float r no stable platform of any kind. Also its got hayes soles where as the fuel has HFX-9's. I dunno which one to get ride them both and get the one you like.
Ditch the Fuel EX7 idea and get a Trance2. I was getting a EX7 but after months of delays I opted for a Trance3 (would have had a bit more of a wait for a T2) and it
s a beauty, suspension works like a charm. I did switch out the DUKE XC for a REBA SL though and will use the DUKE on another bike for doing mainly XC-DH type riding. The Trance2 comes with the Hayes HFX9's and XT components for just a little more than the EX7.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.