Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
My first post here. I have been riding a Trek 3700 for the past couple years and recently gave it to my wife and picked up a 2007 Fuel EX5. Here is where I get confused. Trek's website says the frame material is SLR Aluminum. The brochure in the LBS said in is ZR 9000 Aluminum. I wrote Trek to find out and they responded that the brochure was a misprint and that the frame is SLR Aluminum but when my bike came in (I had to order it in my size) it has ZR 9000 aluminum clearly stamped on the frame. WTF? Just trying to figure out what my frame is. Not a big deal since I don't race or care much about weight but I'm curious. Thank you to anyone who can help me out with this. Also, as a first time Trek full suspension rider is there anything I should look for as far as tech tips or possible trouble areas? Thanks all.
Cat

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
catskillclimber said:
Hello everyone,
My first post here. I have been riding a Trek 3700 for the past couple years and recently gave it to my wife and picked up a 2007 Fuel EX5. Here is where I get confused. Trek's website says the frame material is SLR Aluminum. The brochure in the LBS said in is ZR 9000 Aluminum. I wrote Trek to find out and they responded that the brochure was a misprint and that the frame is SLR Aluminum but when my bike came in (I had to order it in my size) it has ZR 9000 aluminum clearly stamped on the frame. WTF? Just trying to figure out what my frame is. Not a big deal since I don't race or care much about weight but I'm curious. Thank you to anyone who can help me out with this. Also, as a first time Trek full suspension rider is there anything I should look for as far as tech tips or possible trouble areas? Thanks all.
Cat
Just ride it and don't worry about the small things.:thumbsup:

Honestly, with an $1100 full suspension mountain bike, the type of aluminum it is really doesn't matter. This is a great bike at a great price. It gets a lot of people into full suspension bikes where before they would be looking for hardtails.

mtnbikej

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. As I mentioned, I am more curious than concerned, and it doesn't hinder my enjoyment of the bike any. I just feel that a bike company should be able to tell a customer what frame material a bike is made out of just for the customers knowledge. The bike rides great. It would be kind of odd however if ZR 9000 aluminum is being stamped on a whole series of bikes that are actually a different material. The frame does not necessarily qualify as a little thing. Many buy lower end models with similar frames as the higher end models with plans of upgrading later. It could affect some potential customers buying decisions. Anyway, like I said, it's a nice ride regardless. Just curious.

·
You got any chocolate?
245 Posts
That is correct. All Trek F/S MTBs are made here in the USA. As to why it is stamped ZR9000, I don't know. Look at it this way: If in fact it is ZR9000, you received a better grade aluminum frame than what you paid for. And that can't hurt too bad, can it? Enjoy your new ride!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tg3895 said:
That is correct. All Trek F/S MTBs are made here in the USA. As to why it is stamped ZR9000, I don't know. Look at it this way: If in fact it is ZR9000, you received a better grade aluminum frame than what you paid for. And that can't hurt too bad, can it? Enjoy your new ride!
You've got that right.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.