Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of changing up my Trek Fuel EX a bit. I like the ABP and new suspension design quite a bit and really dig how the bike rides.

I figure the Fox fork has enough clearance to run a 650B wheel with out any modifications.

I'm also playing around with the idea of trying out a 29'er fork on the front of the bike, but not real sure how that'll work. Probably not all that well but may be worth a shot.

How dramatic of a change do you think the 650B will be over the 26'er format? After riding a 69'er SS for a while I'm missing the bigger front wheel, I figured this may be a good compromise between the two.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
449 Posts
i've enjoyed my reign with a 650b front wheel. an improvement for sure.

as most 29er forks are 4" or less, and IIRC your fuel's got a 5" fork, swapping the fork and front wheel to say a reba 29 or that new-fangled fox 29 fork should give you what you're looking for as long as you don't mind slightly reduced travel.

it's all tradeoffs. i'd say the most bang for your buck would be getting a 650b front wheel and neo-moto tire on your current setup....

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
onespeedpaul said:
i've enjoyed my reign with a 650b front wheel. an improvement for sure.

as most 29er forks are 4" or less, and IIRC your fuel's got a 5" fork, swapping the fork and front wheel to say a reba 29 or that new-fangled fox 29 fork should give you what you're looking for as long as you don't mind slightly reduced travel.

it's all tradeoffs. i'd say the most bang for your buck would be getting a 650b front wheel and neo-moto tire on your current setup....
That is kind of what I'm thinking too. It would be a lot less expensive anyways!

·
Registered
449 Posts
alot less expensive, especially if your fuel already has a 32H "traditional" hub, just get rim, spokes, tire, and relace :thumbsup: of course, just buying another entire front wheel means you can easily swap back in case you hate it, or want to compare.....

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
If you build up another wheel from scratch, I'd suggest using a hub such as a Hope which can adapt to any axle size, 9, 15, or 20mm you might go to in the future.

Also, I haven't ridden 29 enough to know how they like lower tire pressures, but compared to 26, the neo-moto can tolerate 2 - 5 psi lower in pressure without excessive roll-over and rim pinching than similar sized 26 inch tires, making for a very smooth rolling high traction wheel.

I've had problems washing out the front end of 26'er and 29'er bikes, but have not yet found the washout limit in 6 months on the same trails and conditions with the neo-moto front wheel. The neo-moto is an all time great tire.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
derby said:
If you build up another wheel from scratch, I'd suggest using a hub such as a Hope which can adapt to any axle size, 9, 15, or 20mm you might go to in the future.

Also, I haven't ridden 29 enough to know how they like lower tire pressures, but compared to 26, the neo-moto can tolerate 2 - 5 psi lower in pressure without excessive roll-over and rim pinching than similar sized 26 inch tires, making for a very smooth rolling high traction wheel.

I've had problems washing out the front end of 26'er and 29'er bikes, but have not yet found the washout limit in 6 months on the same trails and conditions with the neo-moto front wheel. The neo-moto is an all time great tire.
I'm thinking of building up a king front just for that reason, hope is not a bad option either by any means. For now the fork is a standard QR but in the future I'd like a TA fork be it a 20 or 15.

I really wish that the rear end of the trek would take a 650b as well, a 5" travel 65oB would be the bee's knee's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.