Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to find out from those of you running your bike this way what you thought. Also have a few other related questions:
Is swapping forks relatively easy and do you go back and forth depending on the terrain you'll be riding?

Anyone know the hta with a 150?

Anyone with a 150 wish that they had a Slash instead?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Wanted to find out from those of you running your bike this way what you thought. Also have a few other related questions:
Is swapping forks relatively easy and do you go back and forth depending on the terrain you'll be riding?

Anyone know the hta with a 150?

Anyone with a 150 wish that they had a Slash instead?

Thanks!
Slash is a whole different animal.

Fuel with 140mm is stupid fun
150 should make it feel like a older Remedy.
I feel the Fuel is at home with a 140 fork though

·
Registered
211 Posts
A little something different. Frame only build I just finished.

19.5"
Fox 36 Performance Elite - 150mm
XT everything
Stan's FLOW MK3s
Magic Mary and Nobby Nic (set up tubeless)
Deity 800mm bars
31.1 lbs with saint pedals

Here's my 2018 with a 150mm. I had a 2016 with a 140mm before this build. Personally I cannot tell the difference except the overall weight of the bike is higher. Maybe a little stiffer. I ride my fork pretty soft. The best "figuring" we can do without the proper tools. The current head angle and overall length of bike is the same as a 2015 Remedy with a 150mm fork. The bottom bracket on the Remedy is substantially higher though.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A little something different. Frame only build I just finished.

19.5"
Fox 36 Performance Elite - 150mm
XT everything
Stan's FLOW MK3s
Magic Mary and Nobby Nic (set up tubeless)
Deity 800mm bars
31.1 lbs with saint pedals

Here's my 2018 with a 150mm. I had a 2016 with a 140mm before this build. Personally I cannot tell the difference except the overall weight of the bike is higher. Maybe a little stiffer. I ride my fork pretty soft. The best "figuring" we can do without the proper tools. The current head angle and overall length of bike is the same as a 2015 Remedy with a 150mm fork. The bottom bracket on the Remedy is substantially higher though.
Is that the EX8 frame? Does this bike ever see a bike park?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Is that the EX8 frame? Does this bike ever see a bike park?
It's the aluminum frameset, it doesn't have a number on it. Painted like the 8 though.

I have taken it to Massanutten Va bike park. Not many "bike park" options here in NC. AND, I'm not much of a fan of those trails. Not my forte' I guess. It's def seen all that WNC has to offer if you're familiar with Pisgah.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's the aluminum frameset, it doesn't have a number on it. Painted like the 8 though.

I have taken it to Massanutten Va bike park. Not many "bike park" options here in NC. AND, I'm not much of a fan of those trails. Not my forte' I guess. It's def seen all that WNC has to offer if you're familiar with Pisgah.
Haven't ridden out your way so I'm not familiar with Pisgah. Just out of curiosity why would you prefer this set up over the new Slash?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Depends on what the specific frame was designed to handle. Bikes with longer forks would be designed to deal with the added stress without breaking. The Trek engineers designed the frame to at least handle a 130mm fork with 29" wheels with a total weight, rider + bike, of 300lb.

That is not to say putting on a larger fork will immediately cause a failure but it will cause a premature failure. That failure would occur sooner if you are closer to the designed weight limit or heavier. Being a lighter rider and pushing the bike harder than designed will be just as bad. But that time to failure could be well after you sell the bike and move on to something newer and better. It all comes down to where you ride, how you ride and how much you weigh.

I've thought of putting in a 140mm airshaft on my FEX7 but those forks are already too bendy. The thought of putting on a $1k fork on a bike that only cost $2500 gets me thinking that it might be more worthwhile trading up for one comes with the bigger fork.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Results are in! I put the DVO Diamond 150mm on last night. Set it up according to the chart for my weight range as a baseline to start with. Took it out to my local trail that has a little bit of everything: good long climbs, good downhill sections, very technical rock gardens and creek crossings etc. I had to make a few adjustments to the rebound but other than that I am super happy with the 150mm fork. Not one negative thing to say. I'm sure the nay-Sayers will jump in with all the reasons I shouldn't be running a 150 on a bike that had a 130 on it but I love it AND recommend it. If you're on the fence about doing it: I say throw down and don't look back!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.