Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone else find their fuel ex pedals like absolute garbage??

im a hardtail guy that got this bike for some gnarlier routes.

2018 fex 9.8. 130mm 34, upgraded to dpx2 rear shock.

I weigh 225. I feel like I'm pedaling over the rear wheel alll the time and wallowing around on a water bed. and just feel like the bike has 0 acceleration even with the dpx2. maybe I just suck? maybe I should stick with my hardtail. feedback please???

·
Registered
662 Posts
IMO, the dpx2 is a down grade for pedaling efficiency. The re:aktiv is designed to hold you up higher in the travel and not wallow. Out of 130mm'ish bikes I've tried, my experience has been that trek is on the better end of the spectrum as a pedaler.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 2019 Fuel EX 9.8 feels the same way, but I'm running the stock shock and I weigh 205. The shock feels like it sucks all the energy out of my pedaling. I've been playing with the tune for months and can't seem to get it to feel any better.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My rear shock seems to have a slow air leak. I've noticed that when the pressure is correct the middle trail setting is fairly firm while pedaling, as long my pedaling motion is smooth. But when the pressure is too low I have a hard time feeling the difference between climb and open. That's when I know I need to fill it back up again. I'm not the type of person that normally stands and pounds on the pedals though.

·
Trail Rider
1,889 Posts
Sounds like incorrect shock air pressure/damping setup.

I have a '17 9.8 that climbs/pedals great. Have a DPX2 on the way, looking forward to it.

Climbs better than my last few bikes-Spez SJ (talk about crappy pedaling!), SC Tallboy 2, Tallboy LTc, 5010.

Also once owned a '10 Allloy Remedy 26er that had the same basic rear suspension system that was also a surprisingly good climber.

Edit: the LTc was close, the TB2 was on par as far as climbing goes, but it is a better climber than my 5010 was. Maybe the wheel size had something to do with that.

The FEX is the best climber in chunky/technical terrain that I've owned though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I feel the same way about the Fuel Ex. If you're on flat land or climbing even the smallest of hills, the bike just seems very inefficient. The bike makes me feel like I need to stand up and try to sprint up to speed but when you do, you get punched in the gut and told to sit back down.

I recently rode the Specialized Stumpjumper ST and was amazed at the difference in pedal efficiency. Not saying that the Specialized is a better bike, It just seemed to be much more efficient.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
That doesn't jibe with my experience comparing a FEX to my '18 Tallboy and it's right in there with the SB130 and Trai429. The only time is sucks energy is standing, similar to those other bikes. Among these, the SJ compares poorly in pedaling efficiency...in my experience.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree with LoneRanger and did my own various similar comparisons and found FEX has excellent power transfer and entirely disagree, for my bike anyway. I ride singletrack, w/rocky, switchbacks, technical and lots of long up. My FEX 9.8 is an excellent climber.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
OP, I suspect a guy your size would benefit from a larger volume reducer in the DPX2.

This should firm up your mid-stroke at the sag point a bit, for a "crisper" pedaling feel.

In the "No Free Lunch" column, this will also make it harder to use all your travel, so if you're one of those guys that finishes ANY expecting to have used all your rear travel, you may be disappointed (I'm looking at myself in a mirror 10 years ago on that statement).

I'd stake a beer on it!

·
Registered
874 Posts
anyone else find their fuel ex pedals like absolute garbage??

im a hardtail guy that got this bike for some gnarlier routes.

2018 fex 9.8. 130mm 34, upgraded to dpx2 rear shock.

I weigh 225. I feel like I'm pedaling over the rear wheel alll the time and wallowing around on a water bed. and just feel like the bike has 0 acceleration even with the dpx2. maybe I just suck? maybe I should stick with my hardtail. feedback please???
The bike has Re:Aktiv for a reason...I think it needs it. Needs to be in the middle position, with sag set properly, not based on the chart, and then the bike pedals great. I know people love dpx2, but if pedaling efficiency is your priority, then the stock shock is the way to go.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Im 215lbs+ with a dpx2 with a medium tune on a 9.9. Pedals awesome compared to the stock reactiv shock, that was terrible. I've mostly had spec stumpys and enduros. The dpx2 on my fuel climbs awesome compared to those. The fuel with the reactiv was terrible

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im 215lbs+ with a dpx2 with a medium tune on a 9.9. Pedals awesome compared to the stock reactiv shock, that was terrible. I've mostly had spec stumpys and enduros. The dpx2 on my fuel climbs awesome compared to those. The fuel with the reactiv was terrible

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
what are your settings? and how did you adjust the tune?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have a 2018 EX project one, and have both an stock re:aktiv and dpx2 shock. I race 50mi marathons and do bike parks days, and occasional enduro race. It pedals great!! I used to have a Superfly 100 and a top fuel... For my purposes, a fuel ex with xc wheels/tires is so close to my sf100 and TF that I sold those "pure xc" bikes.

I air up the suspension for smooth or climbing courses, and use the dpx2 for enduro courses.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
532 Posts
I had a 2017 EX 9.8 and liked it but felt like the suspension would soak up some energy when climbing stair step features. I then moved to a 9.9 with a thru-shaft and was blown away by the improvement. I've ridden both the Factory and performance thru-shaft and its awesome.
As for comparing times I ride a route after work and since 2012 I've ridden the first 4 miles over 200 times. last summer on th 9.9 I missed my PR by seconds. The PR was from 2012 on my 29" S-Works Epic. The trail has definitely degraded from flooding and over use so it hasn't gotten easier. I felt like that said a lot about a 130/140 travel bike vs. a 100mm race machine.
One strange thing is I run a pretty large % less PSI than Trek recommends? One of my buddies teaches a dynamic suspension tuning class and says he sets people up plusher for our area. It seems like that would take away from the pedaling ability but it doesn't?

·
Registered
2 Posts
2017 FEX 9.7 29er. 18.5", all stock.

I couldn't agree more. I've been so disappointed in the pedaling efficiency of this bike. I've been messing with pressure/rebound a bit this season, just can't get it tuned properly.

I suppose I'm not used to a FS still? Sometimes the bike feels like the rear tire is flat but maybe that's just the rear suspension working? A few times after this feeling I've hopped off just to check tire pressure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.