Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are ones that thread into the mino chips. Tried to disassemble to check bearing health but can’t because bolts are ceased to the washers/spacers and inner races of bearings, yet they turn freely so bearings seem ok. Tried to tap free and couldn’t. I could make a press to loosen them but do I need to?

What would you do?

·
Thinking about riding.
2,169 Posts
These are ones that thread into the mino chips. Tried to disassemble to check bearing health but can't because bolts are ceased to the washers/spacers and inner races of bearings, yet they turn freely so bearings seem ok. Tried to tap free and couldn't. I could make a press to loosen them but do I need to?

What would you do?
Depends on the age of the bike and how long I plan to keep it. If it's relatively new and/or I don't plan to own it much longer I'd leave them and just be sure to point it out to any potential buyers. If it's older (and as a result more likely that it NEEDS cleaned or it may cause damage) and/or I plan to keep the bike long-term I'd probably rather get out in front and take care of it now.

·
Community Manager at Trek
579 Posts
These are ones that thread into the mino chips. Tried to disassemble to check bearing health but can't because bolts are ceased to the washers/spacers and inner races of bearings, yet they turn freely so bearings seem ok. Tried to tap free and couldn't. I could make a press to loosen them but do I need to?

What would you do?
Using a press or a punch to tap them out can help. I would suggest replacing your bearings at the same time too since you'll have it dissembled.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.