Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to do it.......

I tested a 9.0 today and WOW, this bike is very plush (light) I had my heart on the EX9 forever, still do but I just had to test a carbon bike. Has anyone else here road in the same boat?

I dont know if the jump from a EX9 -EX9.0 is worth it in price? Quality wise are the carbon frames stronger than the aluminim? because it seems that the only differance between these two are that ones basicly lighter?

G

·
Yup, I demo'd a 9.5, from the Trek demo-days guys, on my favorite trails! All I can say is WOW! However, once I returned to earth, I can honestly say my 2 year old 9 ain't too shabby either. IMHO, I'm not ready to drop my hard-earned cash on CF just yet, even though I am a weight-watcher. Maybe I'm jaded, though: my girlfriend's CF Pilot (road bike) cracked on the first ride! Yes, Trek replaced it pronto, but that left a bitter taste. And that's a road bike! Nope, got my heart set on a 2009 EX9. No point-oh. No point-five. Just plain 9.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Well personally, I'm lov'n the ride of my 9.0! I demo'd a 9.5 and was in love with the ride characteristics of carbon. I have a scandium framed 29er and previously had an aluminum full squish 26er. Sold the 26er to get the ex 9.0 knowing it was the last full suspension bike I'm buying for at least a few years. I like this bike more and more each time I ride it. There is definetely something about the way carbon rides (for me anyway) that is more forgiving and enjoyable than aluminum let alone scandium. Carbon is the way to go imo. Can't beat the Trek warranty either, especially compared to the other carbon bike I was checking out at the time. Also, where I am, Treks' don't sell for full pop, so hopefully they don't where you are.
The bottom line is that the 9 is a great bike also and lot's of people are loving them; you need to put your priorities where you want them and then make a choice. If you don't plan on keeping the bike for a while, don't spend the exra money.

BTW, the ABP rocks!

G

·
Hey, don't get me wrong - the 9.5 ride was nothing short of fan-tastic, as I'm sure the 9.0 is. I just think I'd be breaking it every few rides (yeah, I crash... alot). If I were made of money, no question - CF. But you can't hide poverty, and brother, I'm almost there! I envy you, for sure! True about Trek warranty - no problem at all replacing frame. LBS even built it up for us. Didn't have to do a thing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
HOTSHOX said:
Had to do it.......

I tested a 9.0 today and WOW, this bike is very plush (light) I had my heart on the EX9 forever, still do but I just had to test a carbon bike. Has anyone else here road in the same boat?

I dont know if the jump from a EX9 -EX9.0 is worth it in price? Quality wise are the carbon frames stronger than the aluminim? because it seems that the only differance between these two are that ones basicly lighter?
Go for the ex9 you will not regret this bike is super!!! then upgrade it to the max and you will be blown away. I Know i am!!! The feel is same w/ his brother carbon 9.5&9.0 . my old bike is a fuel100 all carbon(2003) model also a super bike but it split in two. saw no carbon for me. and i decided to buy this aluminum ex9 and the feel is nirvana!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I don't personally believe that the extra cost of the 9.0 is worth it. I got a 9 and I'm perfectly happy. You're only saving about .75 lbs iirc by going with the carbon frame, and you get a bit of stiffness increase in the front triangle (the back is still Al).

Interestingly, I demo'd a 9.5 after I'd had my 9 for awhile, and for some reason my 9 felt more planted in the techy stuff. Probably due to decent tires, but perhaps the extra weight gave me some more momentum or something. Your results may vary though.

Another thing, iirc the 9.0 is decked out with shimano stuff, so if you prefer that to sram, you will probably save yourself some headache/money in changing over the sram stuff from the 9 (or vice versa, should you like sram more)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.