Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I rode my flrist 29r full suspenstion - Fuel EX 8....one shop had an XL so it was the first I rode. Sweet ride. Fun to ride. Real Fun. Then about 30 minutes later rode an XXL at another shop. Still fun...didn't feel as nimble but still felt good! On the XXL the dropper post had to be almost completely inserted into the frame - maybe had 1/4" to 1/2" left. Maybe it was my imagination, but I think I had more drop between saddle on bars on the XXL. Maybe just my imagination.

After years and years of riding bikes too small I am afraid to get a bike that is too small. Same bike shop two different locations. One thinks the XL is the right fit and the other thinks the XXL is the right fit. Of course....UGH.

6'4" with a 36" measured inseam. Prefer a more upright less aggressive position. NO racing. Just single track trails. I think the reason the XL was so fun was because it was the first 29 full suspension bike I have ever rode and first new bike in years.

I also tested an XL and XXL Marlin and the XL Marlin was too cramped. The XXL Marlin felt good. Thoughts?

·
Pizzaiolo Americano
223 Posts
So I rode my flrist 29r full suspenstion - Fuel EX 8....one shop had an XL so it was the first I rode. Sweet ride. Fun to ride. Real Fun. Then about 30 minutes later rode an XXL at another shop. Still fun...didn't feel as nimble but still felt good! On the XXL the dropper post had to be almost completely inserted into the frame - maybe had 1/4" to 1/2" left. Maybe it was my imagination, but I think I had more drop between saddle on bars on the XXL. Maybe just my imagination.

After years and years of riding bikes too small I am afraid to get a bike that is too small. Same bike shop two different locations. One thinks the XL is the right fit and the other thinks the XXL is the right fit. Of course....UGH.

6'4" with a 36" measured inseam. Prefer a more upright less aggressive position. NO racing. Just single track trails. I think the reason the XL was so fun was because it was the first 29 full suspension bike I have ever rode and first new bike in years.

I also tested an XL and XXL Marlin and the XL Marlin was too cramped. The XXL Marlin felt good. Thoughts?
The XXL has almost 20mm higher stack so will result in LESS saddle to bar drop and a more upright riding position, all else being equal. What you are feeling is probably the increased reach. I always size up when close but am nowhere near your height so my bikes never get close to feeling too large for the single track I ride. That may not be the case for you. The bigger bikes are more stable on the steeps but, the smaller are more maneuverable. Depends on what you like...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mean all things being equal we are looking at 20mm (<1") difference in reach and 18mm difference in stack between the XL and XXL. Is this really noticeable. I guess I could always ask one shop to transfer one of the bikes to test back to back.

The XXL does have higher stack, but shorter reach will also result in more upright posittion. Torn...trails are tight and twisty.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For reference my current ride has a reach of 477 and stack of 588. XL EX is 500 / 623 and XXL is 520 / 641, So either way I am going up a size. And going from 26 to 29 and going from 100mm to 140mm........

·
Registered
18 Posts
FWIW, I'm 6'3" (was closer to 6'4" in my younger years) with a 36" inseam, and I ride an XL Fuel EX 8 that's a perfect fit. Some companies do run their sizing a little smaller than others, so I'm guessing that might be the reason for the XXL Marlin feeling comfortable.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well just stopped by 2 shops. One had S6 Stumpjumper Evo....just sitting on it it felt too big. Regardless the EVO is more bike than I need. They may get a S5 SJ in tomorrow. Went back to shop with XL Fuel EX. Still set up for me and drop between seat and bars is <1". I may request them to transfer the XXL from the other location to their location. They are more than happy to do so. The Stumpjump numbers have potential Same reach, higher stack. 1 degree slacker head tube. Of course no stumpjumpers or Fuel EX are available. I would like to get carbon with the Fox 36 Fork. I may be in for a wait once I confirm size.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny..i just measured my existing 26r Ventana....44" from ground to top of saddle and 44" from ground to top of bars (in the middle). So no drop on existing ride. That takes into account 1.5" spacers and 40mm rise bars.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I had the same problem when choosing between a medium and a large Kona 134. I, too, previously bought a bike that was too small. In the end, I did not like the huge length of seat post that was exposed on the medium. I also liked the taller stack on the large (which was still low).

I bought large, and it was the correct decision. The bike rides very well for me. Of course, you might not be as fortunate, but going larger for me was better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts