Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking at buying one of these bikes. I have ridden 29in full suspension bikes but never a 26 (weird, i know) and i am wondering how they compare. I can afford the ex 8 now, but i would need to wait until winter to buy the rumblefish; is it worth the wait over the ex 8 or should i just buy that?

·
I hate that name.
1,643 Posts
It really just comes down to 26 vs 29. Specs are pretty similar. The only significant difference, other than wheel size, is the rear thru axle on the RF. I'm a 29er fan, so I say wait for the RF (it's not available right now anyway). Keep in mind that my opinion is heavily biased since I already have two of them.

·
Registered
693 Posts
If you want the RF and don't wanna wait till winter, maybe you should consider the base RF ($2,520) which is about the same price as the Fuel ex8 ($2,630) but $600 less than thr RF Elite.

A few months ago I considered ex8 Vs Remedy 7, but after reading about 29ers (forums, reviews and professional test rides) I'v decided for the RF. The only RF that's fits my budget ($2,500-2,600) is the base RF. Oh, and after 2011 RF lineup had an ugly painting (to my opinipn) I really like the 2012 base RF matte black color.

Gonna get the RF for the weekend from my LBS mid October. I really wanted it before, but the RF waiting list is looooooong... much longer than the ex8 or Remedy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just purchased an EX8. I absolutely love the bike. I do not like SRAM so the base RF was out of the running and didn't have the funds for the elite. See if you can demo the EX8 it's really a great bike.

·
Registered
36 Posts
'13 EX8 with 130mm travel fork

First my apologies on starting up an old thread. But I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the comparison between the '13 fuel and the '13 RF.

Not much has changed on the '13 RF. But the Fuel has some cool upgrades. I find myself torn between the two. I used to have a Ex 8, but it was a size and a half to big. So I then went with a 29er HT and ended up not liking it too much, I found I appreciate the full suspension too much.

So what are your guy's thoughts on the two bikes... a year later?

·
Registered
24 Posts
First my apologies on starting up an old thread. But I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the comparison between the '13 fuel and the '13 RF.

Not much has changed on the '13 RF. But the Fuel has some cool upgrades. I find myself torn between the two. I used to have a Ex 8, but it was a size and a half to big. So I then went with a 29er HT and ended up not liking it too much, I found I appreciate the full suspension too much.

So what are your guy's thoughts on the two bikes... a year later?
i know there were some good upgrades for 2013 but i got a pretty good deal on a leftover 2012 ex8 from my LBS. maybe worth looking into? $850 off was something i figured was worth and putting into other upgrades.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm actually upgrading from a Fuel EX 8 (a few years old) to a Rumblefish Elite. Can't wait for it to arrive... should be here next week. If you end up in the air a lot, consider the Fuel... otherwise, the Rumblefish is great at everything.

I think Trek is planning to phase out the Fuel EX line.... plus I'm a little disappointed it didn't get a bump to 140mm and slacker front.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I'm actually upgrading from a Fuel EX 8 (a few years old) to a Rumblefish Elite. Can't wait for it to arrive... should be here next week. If you end up in the air a lot, consider the Fuel... otherwise, the Rumblefish is great at everything.

I think Trek is planning to phase out the Fuel EX line.... plus I'm a little disappointed it didn't get a bump to 140mm and slacker front.
I can see that happening in the next couple years. The only thing is so many love the fuel and 29er is not the answer to everything. Maybe a 650B fuel, call it the diesel.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Really, trek is going to phase out the Fuel? I'm surprised by that. I know they sell a ton, it's one of their most popular bikes, and people really like them.

Personally, I have an EX 8 and absolutely love it. I plan to get a new bike probably next year, and will be deciding between another EX, Superfly 100 and the Rumblefish. I test rode a Fish Elite behind one of the stores where there was somewhat decent terrain to ride on, and it felt good. Definitely different feeling than the EX, but it felt pretty good. One thing I noticed was that it felt much heavier though. Not sure if it was just me, but it seemed like a fairly significant weight difference. I didnt ride them back to back though, so who knows.

Anybody know the actual weight difference between the two (estimate or average)?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I suspect they'd move it to a 29er (like the Lush 29--which uses the Fuel suspension) or 650B. I'm pretty certain they'll move the other 26" lines to 650B.

I like the Diesel name a lot!!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Hopefully no 29er and its a 650b. It would seem to be a waste to have the rumblefish 29er and Fuel 29er with just a change on how the rear suspension design.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I could see that. I was actually expecting that soon. I asked a guy at my LBS if he had heard anything about the Fuel EX going to 650b next year and he said it's not happening. The guy is usually pretty informed about this stuff, but still, who knows this far out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Alright, another question. In terms of climbing ability... Which bike do you all think has the upper hand?

Also when comparing the two bikes on Trek's site... it seems the EX 8 is a better bang for your buck compared to the RF elite.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yea, I think major changes to the FuelEX are still a couple years out. I think the Rumblefish is going to roll better up hills... but I also agree it's $200 more for just being a 29er. Specs are almost identical between EX8, Lush SL 29er & RF Elite... the 26" is cheaper.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Hey, 29ers climb better, roll over stuff better, 26ers climb good just not as efficent on climbs, 26ers decends great, corners better, gravity no comparison. I love 29er hardtails and 26er fs. Both bikes are great comes down to what you like most about biking. If I was gravity oriented not a doubt fuel ex which i rode this year I'm finishing the year on a 29er hardtail and future to me is 650b. Rumblefish sounds great espesially if your not into jumps and manuals but my opinion you will adapt to what ever ride. Its hard comparing bikes I like so much about both bikes. Never rod a fs 29er but i imagine there good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.