Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I lean more towards the XL is open up the opportunity to get the 9.7. From what I can see u get the much better 36 fork (with 200g weight penalty), carbon frame, and downgrade to NS shifters (but keep GX dr). Any other pluses minuses to the change. I ride at about 215lbs. Figure the price change is less than just upgrading the forks and get the carbon frame. Can upgrade shifter in future for minimal cost. Is 200g in front noticeable? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
No edit function on the new platform?!

As far as sizing goes, I'm 6' 2" with only a 32" inseam.

I strongly prefer XL Trek bikes, and I've got several.

So you might give the XXL one more try.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which Fuel EX do you ride? Funny how different people like different things. At 6'2" you must like to be stretched out....I def prefer more upright. Looking at my existing bike with about 2" spacers and 40mm rise bars and a super short stem, I have about same reach and less stack as if I went with the XL. The XL will actually give me more stack than my current ride.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm about 220.

I recently went from Fox 36 to a 38 on my fuel EX.

Even that's a very noticeable switch.

I wouldn't want any less than a 36 on my bike.

As it is I plan on putting the 36 on a damn XC bike.

If I were to do it again, I'd get an 8 XT and upgrade the suspension and wheels. But last year Shimano was only available on the 9.8 and 9.9, so I got a 9.8 XT

Edit to add: another reason to get the 8 and upgrade the fork is the even though the carbon bikes get a 36. They get the performance 36 with the GRIP damper. I found myself wanting more adjustability pretty quickly.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm about 220.

I recently went from Fox 36 to a 38 on my fuel EX.

Even that's a very noticeable switch.

I wouldn't want any less than a 36 on my bike.

As it is I plan on putting the 36 on a damn XC bike.

If I were to do it again, I'd get an 8 XT and upgrade the suspension and wheels. But last year Shimano was only available on the 9.8 and 9.9, so I got a 9.8 XT

Edit to add: another reason to get the 8 and upgrade the fork is the even though the carbon bikes get a 36. They get the performance 36 with the GRIP damper. I found myself wanting more adjustability pretty quickly.
Thanks. I’m 220 but can’t spend $3500 on a bike and then another $1000 on a fork. For my riding style I would be more than happy with the 34. Upping to carbon and 36 is a bonus. And I like the yellow and gray of the 9.7 sram.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A shop a couple hours away has a XL 9.8GX......on sale. Thoughts? Anything wrong with this build...seems pretty sweet with carbon wheels, etc. etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts