Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the new fuels have been out for a few months now, and there are plenty of reviews floating around. I took mine out yesterday for its first real ride. I thought I might post my thoughts, and give some details besides the usual marketing rhetoric.

First off, I got the grey/red paint and it is beautiful. The thing just looks mean. It has quite a bit of sparkle in the sun, very nice.

Secondly, the thing is big. I have an XL and it is taller than me. It doesn't feel big or necessarily ride that way, but if you take a few steps back and check it out, you'll see what I mean.

The frame is slung low and pretty compact. Great stand over height. Geometry is pretty spot on for me: slacker than CX, not quite as slack as AM, but somewhere in the middle the optimized confidence and steering/climbing.

It is clad with SLX and XT. Solid and affordable choices in my opinion. Shifts are clean and crisp, even under a decent load. You all know how these components preform though.

In general, this thing goes fast. Like, legit fast. Once you get some speed and the trail gets flowy, just get your ass up off the saddle and work it. In these situations it felt plenty maneuverable. Although it is big, so long as the rider is quick enough, it'll change directions pretty fast.

After a few hours of riding, when I was getting gassed (I haven't ridden in a while, I know!), it felt sluggish on long climbs. The pedals would just not crank around like I am used to them doing. Before I say anymore, I will make a few notes on this:

1. I was running 35-40% sag to try out the suspension more fully. This probably contributed to the slow climbing.
2. Tire pressure was slightly lower than usual. Trails have just dried out enough, so I wanted to run a little low if things were messy.

So, the climbing issue may be these factors, the long stays, or my getting used to a FS bike (I am coming from a 26" hardtail). I know it wasn't me being lazy or tired though, the thing just didn't wanna go.

Other attributes of the ride were great. The thing will gobble up trail. I am still getting used to just how much it can handle. I went down some gnarly stuff at speed and got worried, but the wheels just didn't give a F$%#.

Also, although it is a little harder to wheely, etc. the thing can get airborne just fine. It just takes a little more umph. So long as you have speed and a decent jump, you'll have some flight.

Anyway, I will be riding again today with adjustments to the suspension and tires. I will come back to comment on those results.

Cheers!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Nice review! I just picked up a EX8 a couple of weeks ago and I agree with just about every thing you said. The bike is huge, mine is a 21 inch frame, but it doesn't ride that way. I switched to a Rhythm Pro 70mm stem and I love it. I'm not as stretched out and it responds to steering inputs much quicker. I haven't really played around with the suspension settings much. Had my LBS set it up and I've just been riding it that way. It's a little stiff for my liking so I need to do that at some point. I've also noticed it doesn't climb the way my hard tail does, or at least it seems that way. Might be because I keep the front and rear shocks set to trail and leave it there. Too much of a pain to switch on the fly. Would love some type of a remote control so I could switch between settings while riding. Could also be that I'm out of shape because I haven't ridden all winter. Once on a smooth flowing trail the bike just flys, it's so much fun!

Overall I love the bike and I'm glad I made the jump to a FS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've done 500km approx and love mine , dropper post to come and I'm swapping out the front rings and going single .
If you want to change your suspension settings go to the fox site it gives good info on set ups

1 - 4 of 4 Posts