Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day was out on the trail and noticed the rear end was real flexy, though it may have been the wheels and tires I was running , But later found out it was a loose bushing. Has anyone got advice on maintenance or replacement intervals on the things and also how much and where can they be obtained , other than LBS.

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
You can check your bushings by facing the side of the bike grab the top of the seat with one hand and the top of the rear tire with the other and push and pull opposing. You'll see the wheel flex, tire flex etc. so make a note of that too.

The bottom bushing cost me ~$30 from my LBS.

Make sure you locktight the screws when reinstalling. And torque to spec - do assearch on the forum. It's not a hard to make the switch, just set aside an hour or two.

I learned a lot about my Fuel when I did it.

Make sure you do not lube the bushings at any time as they are "dry lube"

The theory on bushings is that they make a stiffer linkage than ball bearing with a larger contact space.

Mr. P

·
Registered
396 Posts
Fast Black said:
advice on maintenance or replacement intervals on the things and also how much and where can they be obtained , other than LBS.
The service information for the pivots is in the owner's manual! If you don't have one you can download one off of Trek's website. Mine says to check the torque after 10 hours of riding. Not exactly how it says to do it in the manual, but this is what I do: Whenever I think it's time, I get out the torque wrench and check the torque, and if nothing has loosened, I leave it alone. If it has loosened, I take the bolt out, clean it, then loctite and re-torque.

·
2,548 Posts
Fast Black said:
The other day was out on the trail and noticed the rear end was real flexy, though it may have been the wheels and tires I was running , But later found out it was a loose bushing. Has anyone got advice on maintenance or replacement intervals on the things and also how much and where can they be obtained , other than LBS.
Hey FastBlack - I have a couple of .pdf files on my computer detailing the replacement procedures for the Fuel bushings if ya ever need them...lemme know, and I'd be glad to e-mail 'em to ya:cool:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Be sure to check the rocker arm linkage too...especially if it's carbon (ie; a Fuel 98 or 100/110). Those bolts tend to loosen and can ovalize the rocker arm, which will cost you about $100, and a lot of frustration since the rocker isn't always in stock (believe me, I've been there).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Could You Email Me Those PDFs ?

Fuelish said:
Hey FastBlack - I have a couple of .pdf files on my computer detailing the replacement procedures for the Fuel bushings if ya ever need them...lemme know, and I'd be glad to e-mail 'em to ya:cool:
Hi, could you email me those bushing replacement pdfs ?
Thanks !

·
Registered
91 Posts
Fuelish Is Very Nice And Will Send The Files

saldman said:
and I could sure use those files too.
Can you cc the to me also.
Thanks,
Sal
I emailed this person and am sure he will send the pdfs. He is very busy but is a really good guy for providing them and will send them when he can.

·
2,548 Posts
gehulme said:
I emailed this person and he didn't bother responding so he probably really does not have those pdfs. There are alot of real good guys on these forums with real technical knowledge so I know they are really out there somewhere.
Yo, pal....let me tell you something - I do indeed have these files....what I DON'T do is spend every day on the computer - I have a wife and kids and a life. I just saw your e-mail......I will send the files, but I ain't gonna jump through hoops for you. Was going to send them this a.m., but Yahoo Mail was taking forever to upload (never finished) and I have to get to work. So, you can either be patient and you'll recieve both files, or you can come back here and talk more sh!t and get nothing....it's your choice. Ta ta, off to work with me.

*EDIT* - files are sent this a.m. You're welcome.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yo Pal, Thanks Your Great !!!!!! But, I'm Still Not Sure About...

Thanks man, you are great, but I'm still not sure about Bushings Vs Bearings. (I digress)
I'm replacing bushings on the TopFuel 110 after only one season. Lbs says bushings better cause they are cheap. Turner says better for allot of reasons. http://www.turnerbikes.com/faq.html
I'm on my second season on my SC Blur with no bearing issues (have to baby the bearing though.)
Bearing Kit for Blur cost 45.00
Bushing Kit For Fuel cost 40.00.
The high end new Fuel 9.5 has bearings. Chris Eatough's TopFuel had bearings (retrofit).
I just don't know.....hmmmmmmm

Saldman I will email them to you (not the bushings, the files) but you have receive emails turned off.
Thanks

·
2,548 Posts
No problem....sorry I was a little short, but my Yahoo mail has been very difficult, lately, when attempting to to attach any decent sized files (seems slow as crap, anymore). Not to mention the new job (with no internet access :( ), etc, etc, etc. Oh, and...LOL....I WISH I was still a kid (even a kid with kids ;) ) ....am getting old and cranky, I guess.
Anyway, hope the files helped. And, yeah,, I pm'ed saldman (twice) the same as you posted - can't e-mail him the files without an addy. I'm all better, now....really ;)
gehulme said:
(Sorry to get your panties in a wad, but Thanks !!!!!!)
Ahhh Kids (with Kids) All in fun pal !

Yo saldman I will email them to you no muss no fuss, drop me a line (you have receive emails turned off.)

·
Following the trend
157 Posts
Thanks man. Didn't know about the email thing.

Fuelish said:
No problem....sorry I was a little short, but my Yahoo mail has been very difficult, lately, when attempting to to attach any decent sized files (seems slow as crap, anymore). Not to mention the new job (with no internet access :( ), etc, etc, etc. Oh, and...LOL....I WISH I was still a kid (even a kid with kids ;) ) ....am getting old and cranky, I guess.
Anyway, hope the files helped. And, yeah,, I pm'ed saldman (twice) the same as you posted - can't e-mail him the files without an addy. I'm all better, now....really ;)
I turned it on and pm'd you.

Sal

Got my fuel in and will post pics soon.

·
Registered
448 Posts
gehulme said:
Thanks man, you are great, but I'm still not sure about Bushings Vs Bearings. (I digress)
I'm replacing bushings on the TopFuel 110 after only one season. Lbs says bushings better cause they are cheap. Turner says better for allot of reasons. http://www.turnerbikes.com/faq.html
I'm on my second season on my SC Blur with no bearing issues (have to baby the bearing though.)
Bearing Kit for Blur cost 45.00
Bushing Kit For Fuel cost 40.00.
The high end new Fuel 9.5 has bearings. Chris Eatough's TopFuel had bearings (retrofit).
I just don't know.....hmmmmmmm

Saldman I will email them to you (not the bushings, the files) but you have receive emails turned off.
Thanks
I like the bushings on the Fuel, while they might be the same price as a bearing kit they are so easy to replace. I have had zero problems with the bushings on my Fuel after 3 years of ownership - I have replaced the bushings twice but for the amount of riding that I do I consdier this to be normal wear and tear.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That's Good To Know

PointBoy said:
I like the bushings on the Fuel, while they might be the same price as a bearing kit they are so easy to replace. I have had zero problems with the bushings on my Fuel after 3 years of ownership - I have replaced the bushings twice but for the amount of riding that I do I consdier this to be normal wear and tear.
Thanks, that's good to know. I misquoted the bushings price. They were 10.00 for main and 3 a set for smaller pivots. So total was only around 16.00.

·
2,548 Posts
gehulme said:
Thanks, that's good to know. I misquoted the bushings price. They were 10.00 for main and 3 a set for smaller pivots. So total was only around 16.00.
Hmmmmm, that sounds like a good price - I forget what I paid for new set but am sure it was quite a bit more (wonder if lbs ripped me off:mad: ). Well, I'm going to replace them again before spring hits, so guess I'll have my memory refreshed soon enough ;)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Fuelish said:
Hmmmmm, that sounds like a good price - I forget what I paid for new set but am sure it was quite a bit more (wonder if lbs ripped me off:mad: ). Well, I'm going to replace them again before spring hits, so guess I'll have my memory refreshed soon enough ;)
I think the last time that I replaced mine they cost $30.00

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.