Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I tried to remove my non drive side square taper crank arm today. I succeeded in ripping the puller out of the crank arm ruining the puller and the threads on the crank arm. I wasn't mad just quite surprised. So my next move is to saw-zaw/hacksaw the spindle so I can get the BB out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I spent a lot of time getting a crank off of my road bike when I did this exact same thing. I ended up using a combination between a bearing puller and a steering wheel puller and it finally popped off, with a surprisingly loud bang. Soak it with PB blaster before you try anything, and like az mtns said, maybe a 3 jaw would work but that depends on the shape of your crank.

Good luck, I take it you're trying to save the crank arm?

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
Three jaw puller will sometimes get it done.
A pickle fork will work, every time. AKA tie rod or ball joint separator. Any suspension mechanic should have one. Make sure the gap is big enough to get around the spindle, put the tool between the frame and crank arm and whack it good and hard 2-3 times. Watch your toes because the crank will fall on them if you don't.

This is what it looks like in use (not on a bike)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.