Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been enjoying my second hand Karate Monkey for a couple of months now, actually, this old camp stove green girl has become like a best friend. I rode another old English type bike with the vintage Mary style bars on it and REALLY liked the hand position. So I did a little research and decided to get some On-One Mary bars.

After looking high and low, the only decent place I could find that had black ones in stock was On-One in the UK. So I placed my order, only to find that my US bank blocks all credit card transaction from UK companies due to increased fraud.

Sooo... I decided to keep looking for a good handlebar and came across the Misfit Psycles FU-Bar, and ordered me one up. Evidently my bank has no problem with Canadian companies. I presume my new bars are on the way, but I was wondering if anybody has actually used them and what they thought of em.

Jerry

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
I've had a set on two different singlespeeds for about a year. I like them a lot.

You're probably going to want a little longer stem, +20mm worked for me.

Attached photo compares hand positions of the Fu-bar on a 120mm stem vs an EA50 on a 100mm stem.

Attachments

·
Is that Bill rated?
440 Posts
A little late . . .

As you have already purchased them. I have two pairs in regular use, one on my commuter where I love them - hands down my favourite commuting bar ever - one on my
Pugsley where I am 90%. I find for general singletrack they are transparent, as in I never notice them. For descending they are also great, but I find myself wishing they were wider when climbing. I do ride SS so that may increase my desire for leverage relative to a geared rider's needs.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I wrote a review in the general forum a month or so ago. Go have a look with pictures.
If you look closely, you really need a 30mm stem length increase to derive the same hand position as say a 5 deg backsweep std. mountain bike bar. This is where the Mary bar beats the Fubar. It has 50 mm's of forward sweep versus 20mm's as with the Fubar.
Mary bars are not easy to find but I will give you a further tip. Soma has cloned the Mary bar and it is called the Clarence handlebar. Google it. Also, the Clarance bar is likely stronger than the Mary even though I wrote to On-One and they said the Mary is perfectly fine for rigorous off roading. Some would argue with that that have broken them but some guys break everything. :)
The Clarance bar is also fractionally longer than a Mary and Fubar which is a good thing because with 40 deg backsweep you need a wider bar to compensate for wrist position.
Hope that helps. The Fubar is fantastic as long as your frame sizing can accomodate a 30mm stem size increase for parity with your current bar.

·
Did I catch a niner+?
2,957 Posts
You could easily go to your LBS and ask them to order you a set, maybe they even sell the Haro SS and will take them off of the bike (that's what my LBS did). Also the Origin8 Spacebar OR is the copy of it and much cheaper.

And yes they are a pain to find online that is why I ended up going to the LBS.

pink

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
I'll throw in my two cents here.

I have a set of FuBars and they do work nicely as stated with a slightly longer stem. I did have issues with some stems not clamping the FuBar enough to keep it from spinning in the clamp, so watch for that.

I too wished they were slightly wider for single speed use.

I also have tried the Space Bar OR and it requires an even longer stem than a FuBar, but it does have a better clamping area, so stems do get a grip on this bar better. Sadly, it is even a touch narrower than my FuBar. Not my cup-o-tea.

Finally, as for a Mary Bar clone, I would throw in a mention of the next evolution of the Mary Bar, the Carnegie's Bar, which is spot on perfect for mountain biking. It also is stronger than a Mary Bar is.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Your pespective is excellent as always Ted. With the original Fubar and Thomson stem with very wide clamp area, no problem at all keeping the Fubar in position. For those interested, swept back handlebars have greater leverage to rotate the bar down as Ted mentioned which can be a problem without the right stem interface....4 bolt faceplaces are a bit more secure as well.
To the Origin8 Spacebar OR...exactly my findings as well. Too narrow AND...NO forward sweep. The OR variant of the Spacebar is a very different bar than the original Mary clone Spacebar. This bar really requires a 40mm stem change. Most haven't sized their frame to accomodate that large a change. I run a 140mm Thomson stem on my current rig with Fubar and have just ordered a 29er frame with longer top tube accordingly.
As to the Carnegie bar, in general there is a tradeoff to any bar and in the case of the new Carnegie it pertains to grip length if you run a geared bike. The radius into the grip ends is more outboard on the Carnegie and hence has a shorter grip length. Again this is where the Mary/Fubar/Clarence bar shine as they each have a long grip area with a lot of room to get thumb shifters away from the inside of the grip.
Cheers.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I ran a Mary for ~2 years on my VooDoo as an SS (rigid and hardtail setups) and for the past couple months as a 1x9. The Mary does well pulling the kid-trailer too. I wasn't sure I'd like a shifter on the Mary, but I've got no complaints. I went with a FUbar on the diSSent. Similar to above (or below), I went with a 120mm misfit stem for the FuBar vs 100mm on the Mary. The misfit stem holds that sucka on there good! The stem differences made the setups comparable. Beyond that, they've got similar feels to me, though I'm still getting acquainted with the FuBar and don't have any real long suffer-fests on it yet. At least the general differences in the bikes confound any bar differences; I never did a "same bike-different bar" comparison.

I found the FuBar to have a "sweet spot" where if I angled it more in either direction it just didn't feel right climbing (one direction too far) or descending (other direction too far). So play around with the angle of the bar if you don't get it right off the bat. Since you've very familiar with the feel of your KM, I'm sure you'll immediately know when you find the groove.

But regardless, I'm pretty sure you'll dig it. :thumbsup: I don't know if I'll ever go back to a "regular" sweep or a flat bar again after running these. At least not on my 29er's. My thumbs are a bit arthritic and prone to pain but the hand position on these bars is much more comfortable and natural to me.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Put the FuBar and a set of Ergons on my Dambala SS and tried them out yesterday. I adjusted to them immediately and had a great ride on some nice semi rocky Adirondack singletrack. The only issue was when they moved when i was clearing a log but a little retightening fixed all that. The setup is super comfortable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.