Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have several rides down for the FTM and thought I would throw out a few findings for those who are shopping both of these bikes. I owned the blur LT1 for 1.5 years and just bought the FTM. Both bikes are very good but each have a slighlty different arena in which they excel. I have used these posts extensively for my purchases and wanted to give back to the forum.

I won't get technical so as not to bore you, those facts are available other places.

My FTM was not love at first ride, it felt a little odd at first. I have hopped on several other bikes that felt natural right away. After i finally got the right set-up, I am having a blast. My findings are similar to other reports I have read on here. This bike is a superb long travel xc machine. I find it better than my blur on twisty, tech single track. I find the FTM very stable blasting into those steep down to up transitions. I just rode a very rocky,twisty singletrack descent and the FTM performed like a champ. It also is very balanced in those 1-2' lift off's over step rollers. Overall, I am having more fun on the FTM for trail riding over the Blur. I think there are probably better " do-it-all" bikes out there if you lean more into the AM category but for aggresive trail the FTM puts a huge smile on my face. The FTM does suffer a litte from front end lift on short very steep climbs, I am not clearing as much as i used to.

The following is comparison of the two bikes

FTM strengths- better handling, more responsive, better power transfer, more plush,better balance.

Blur strengths- better climber for short/steep/techy climbs,better for blasting long straight rock gardens, more AM orientation.

In short both nice bikes but i am having more fun on the FTM for long travel trail riding.

· Registered
6,444 Posts
Thanks for the write up!

Oh yeah, lets see some pics! :thumbsup:

· Registered
19 Posts
FTM has very poor ftm routing design. there are ghost shifting when i climb and it is very irritating. you guys try to release the air in your rear shock and see how the cable being bend into folds. the folding of the rear d cable cause the rear d to ghost shift / or unable to shift into the right gear when climbing long slope.

plus the fact that the cable rubs on the carbon rocker and anodized seat tube. my anodized paint gone. cable rubbed until i could see the braided metal lines in the rear d cable.

Any ftmer share the same problem.

· Registered
6,444 Posts
mambo76 said:
FTM has very poor ftm routing design. there are ghost shifting when i climb and it is very irritating. you guys try to release the air in your rear shock and see how the cable being bend into folds. the folding of the rear d cable cause the rear d to ghost shift / or unable to shift into the right gear when climbing long slope.

plus the fact that the cable rubs on the carbon rocker and anodized seat tube. my anodized paint gone. cable rubbed until i could see the braided metal lines in the rear d cable.

Any ftmer share the same problem.
Something is wrong with your set-up. I have used my ML for over 2 years and never had problems with ghost shifting.

Cable rub is a problem. A few patches cures that problem, should cost less than $5.

· Registered
19 Posts
Motolite is fine as the rocker don't not move as much. Trust me, release yr rear shock air and you will see the how the cable bends. The foldings of the cable force the it to rub against the areas I mentioned. It rub thru 2 layers of my race shields. rubbing should be able to solve but the bending of cable due to the big movement of the rocker is the issue which is a big problem. ML is ok but not the ftm.

The setup was setup by my competent lbs and routing as per Titus recommendation. We have since re-route the cable slightly but my yesterday was affected by ghost shifting again. Will try to take some pics. By the way the problem comes after 2-3 months ride. Will try to post some pics tonite.

· Registered
1,885 Posts
in my experience ghost shifting is usually caused by the rear piece of cable housing being too long. shorten it up as much as possible.

the less housing there is to flex around, the less the cable can move. and the rear piece of the most critical as it is right in the area of the suspension movement.

also, if ghost shifting appears after a few months of use, that is usually due to cable stretch. i would go with better quality cables and housings to minimize cable stretch.

· Registered
2,321 Posts
can anyone shed more light on the rear triangle of the FTM being a wet noodle? also, would anyone know if Titus released a new rear triangle?
The FTm is no Freeride bike in the terms of rigidity but that isn't what the bike was meant for. Coming from an 08 specialized stumpy I didn't notice any change in rear stiffness. However when going from the FTM to an 09 specialized enduro it was painfuly obvoius. But once again that isn't comparing apples-apples.

The rear triangle is the same from what I've seen from 09-10. The lowers need a huge improvement in clearance but the seatstays worked fine for 2.3" tires (just not the chainstays).

· Registered
12 Posts
FTM rear triangle lateral flex

Mountain_Rocker said:
can anyone shed more light on the rear triangle of the FTM being a wet noodle? also, would anyone know if Titus released a new rear triangle?
The rear triangle does in fact have a significant amount of lateral flex. I have been riding the bike for over a year and noticed the problem when pedaling in higher gears (more torque is produced because of decrased mechanical advantage in higher gears). I am able to make the 2.1 Kenda Nevegals rub the chainstay every time I mash on the pedals in the higher gears (smaller gears on the cassette). I have tried different tire/rim/hub/skewer combinations, all with the same result. I also notice the flex when diving into and coming out of tight corners. The general consensus among the authorized dealers servicing my bike is that the seatstays are too skinny and too long. There is no bridge between the carbon seatstays to cut down the total length, which is where they think the flex is developing. Their feeling is either add the bridge or make the seatstays larger in diameter. Also, the tire is 2.1" tire is VERY close to the chainstay, not something that shoud be a problem on a trailbike.

I know Titus has completely redesigned the rear triangle for the 2010 FTM carbon, I'm not sure what they're going to do about the FTM aluminum. Many people don't see the flex thing as a problem. They like the added propolsion when coming out of tight corners. I don't particularly care for the flex. It's a shame because the bike is absolutely perfect in every other aspect; geometry, climbing, decending, etc. I'll keep riding my FTM for a few more years, but I might be tempted to give the Trek Fuel or Santa Cruz Blur a shot if things get worse. :mad:

· Registered
149 Posts
Curious as to what fork your running as well as the BB height...

I've got an 09' frame that I'm building up and it looks like the BB height is going to be around 14" 1/8 with a Float 140mm... not sure if Titus specced the bike differently or something because it states on their site that it should be 13.25"?

· Registered
149 Posts
Thats really strange...

We've got one in the shop here with a Marz 44 which has a lower A2C than the float 140 I believe and it's sitting at about 1/16th over 14" and it looks like mine will be around the same just by mock building it with the float 140...

Are you using a zero stack headset?

· Registered
1,259 Posts
Ghaleon109 said:
Thats really strange...

We've got one in the shop here with a Marz 44 which has a lower A2C than the float 140 I believe and it's sitting at about 1/16th over 14" and it looks like mine will be around the same just by mock building it with the float 140...

Are you using a zero stack headset?
Nope. King NTS.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.