Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This weekend promised to be near record breaking cold (low 20's), so Friday afternoon I wrapped up some of my outside pipes. When I went back inside at about 5:05 I discovered my furnace wasn't working. After trying the few obvious things, I got a hold of the furnace fixing guys as they were closing. My choices were pay a special "surcharge" for Saturday work and miss my ride, or wait until Monday. I have an electric blanket so it was a no brainer. I packed up all my biking stuff Friday night, got up Saturday, took a hot shower, had a quick bowl of cereal, skipped the usual 25 minutes of icing my knees, and headed for Ft. Ord with the truck heater on full blast until my core temperature
warmed up.

It was cool at Ord, but not bad once I got going. There was quite a bit of frozen ground in the shaded areas, and a few frozen puddles here and there, even in shaded areas late in the afternoon. But there was warm sunshine and no wind, so it felt quite nice. For the most part I succeeded in following Dan51's usual route, which we did a few weeks ago. But I did the Goat Trail twice, looping up Oil Well Rd. and Trail 10 in between the two loops, to add a a few more miles. It was one of the most pleasant rides I've had in quite a while and although it seemed like I was moving fairly slowly, it only took five hours. Ord could use some rain, the usual sand-pits were peskier than usual. I snapped a few photos.

Trail 49

Trail 49

A few of these scattered about

Goat Trail

Two on the Goat Trail

Goat Trail

Dan51's "shortcut"

No way! Much gnarlier than it looks.

Red Rock Ridge

Red Rock Ridge

A little climb

Nice rocks

On Blair Witch

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Nice Steve, gotta get out there one day with a guide, I've only raced there and once poached the Sea Otter Epic Ride, since it was all nicly marked with arrows pointing the way.

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
Good stuff Steve, glad to see you had a good ride.
That pic of those two guys climbing Goat makes the trail look flat, but that's easily one of the steepest climbs of the day.

-Dan

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep

dan51 said:
That pic of those two guys climbing Goat makes the trail look flat, but that's easily one of the steepest climbs of the day.-Dan
Yep, it takes about all I have to make that climb and I had to do it twice today. The map and trail signs are very inadequate so I did quite a bit of seat-of-the-pants navigating. But surprisingly I found most of your route. I missed one of your secret turns and only saw the end of Trail 75. So I had to do more of that yucky pavement than I like :mad:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.