Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a fun ride with BBTC a few weeks ago and people asked me to post the map
of the route our group took. Here it is. I had to add some trails manually since they didn't
exist when they made the Trax map. If you haven't ridden the Double-diamond trail,
you have to try it. It's gotten a little easier but still quite a challenge. The Confusion area
is pretty confusing so I just drew a couple straight lines. You _are_ supposed to get confused there :)

Attachments

·
born again
652 Posts
Thanks Pinchflat

pinchflat said:
We had a fun ride with BBTC a few weeks ago and people asked me to post the map
of the route our group took. Here it is. I had to add some trails manually since they didn't
exist when they made the Trax map. If you haven't ridden the Double-diamond trail,
you have to try it. It's gotten a little easier but still quite a challenge. The Confusion area
is pretty confusing so I just drew a couple straight lines. You _are_ supposed to get confused there :)
...for the annotated map. That'll be the ticket next time I ride there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Double Black

I don't know what you mean. I just rode the double black diamond a month ago and I did a lot of hiking on that trail. You are a better man than I. Good route. Long Route. If you are racing on Sat. Good luck.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
justinmosiman said:
I don't know what you mean. I just rode the double black diamond a month ago and I did a lot of hiking on that trail. You are a better man than I. Good route. Long Route. If you are racing on Sat. Good luck.
True, the double-diamond is not for every one. I remember walking a lot when I rode it the
first time three years ago. Since then, I've been able to ride pretty much every section of
the trail. Some day, if the conditions are right :) I might ride the whole thing without dabbing
(except for a couple sections where trees hang over the trail). If it wasn't for this trail,
I wouldn't be going to Ebey as often as I do every winter.

·
El Malo
549 Posts
pinchflat said:
True, the double-diamond is not for every one. I remember walking a lot when I rode it the
first time three years ago. Since then, I've been able to ride pretty much every section of
the trail. Some day, if the conditions are right :) I might ride the whole thing without dabbing
(except for a couple sections where trees hang over the trail). If it wasn't for this trail,
I wouldn't be going to Ebey as often as I do every winter.
ooooh, that's right, Ebey... I've yet to hit it this season...
Nice route on the map... although it can be ridden in many ways...
I love to drop inside those gun turrets and then hop my way out of them... the Bluff trail simply puts a smile on your face as does the climbing out of the kettles, right ;)

I'm sure the "Double Diamond" trail has a name... if anyone knows, I'd be good to know what the builder named it cos Double D sounds misleading... like it's some extreme trail or something... it's just a simple short but technical XC trail with a coupla quick grunts thrown in to keep you honest.
MuttonChops and I like to hit that at the beginning and the end of the ride... tho' we're usually a bit shagged and ready for some warm chowder by the time it's all over :D

·
%$#$*!
811 Posts
Does anyone know what happened to the little drop that was on the campground trail?
last time I was there somebody had flattened it. anyone know why?

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
beefmagic said:
Does anyone know what happened to the little drop that was on the campground trail?
last time I was there somebody had flattened it. anyone know why?
Hmmm, State Park. Hmmm, USA. Who knows.

Monte

·
Registered
192 Posts
I was really bummed when that little drop went away. A guy could get some good distance off of that.
While it was there i would try to incorporate it into every ride.
I think the boy scouts took it out on a trail maintenence weekend, they also smoothed out hoakie ka do-do (or however you spell that). :mad:

·
%$#$*!
811 Posts
yeah it was a fun little drop. I usually hit it every time I rode there. It was one of the few spots that you could get any kind of air. anyway, just curious if anyone got hurt there and that was the reason it was flattened.
thanks for the map and route pinchflat, I will definitely try your route the next time I'm there.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Speaking of jumps

Has anyone tried jumping over the big 'trench' below the buff trail at the south
end of the open area? There is a line or two over the little hump at the end of
the trench https://bbtc.org/img/upload/img99636.jpg but I haven't
seen anyone try to do the actual gap. It's about 10-15 feet
but the approach would be pretty rough (grass). If only there was a little trail
dropping down :)

whidbeydh said:
I was really bummed when that little drop went away. A guy could get some good distance off of that.
While it was there i would try to incorporate it into every ride.
I think the boy scouts took it out on a trail maintenence weekend, they also smoothed out hoakie ka do-do (or however you spell that). :mad:

·
El Malo
549 Posts
pinchflat said:
Has anyone tried jumping over the big 'trench' below the buff trail at the south
end of the open area? There is a line or two over the little hump at the end of
the trench https://bbtc.org/img/upload/img99636.jpg but I haven't
seen anyone try to do the actual gap. It's about 10-15 feet
but the approach would be pretty rough (grass). If only there was a little trail
dropping down :)
That looks like it could be fun... never seen it before.
It appears to be Shewchuck on the pic... last I saw of him he was at Whistler bike park checkin' it out on a rentAbike.

Is that angle looking a bit deceiving ?
I'm already imagining a cool G-out compression just before the jump that would send the rider up in the air with time enough for a decent motowhip... similar to the one on RatPac.
I like the looks of the left side because it seems like it kicks up higher... but still, I'm not seeing 10-15ft there... and might be a table not a gap, bro' ;)

·
Fake it 'til you make it
357 Posts
Dude, from the picture, calling that a jump is ridiculous. It looks smaller than the right side Greenlake kid bumps.

·
Registered
192 Posts
That looks like it could be fun... never seen it before.
It appears to be Shewchuck on the pic... last I saw of him he was at Whistler bike park checkin' it out on a rentAbike.

Is that angle looking a bit deceiving ?
I'm already imagining a cool G-out compression just before the jump that would send the rider up in the air with time enough for a decent motowhip... similar to the one on RatPac.
I like the looks of the left side because it seems like it kicks up higher... but still, I'm not seeing 10-15ft there... and might be a table not a gap, bro' ;)
Looking at the pic, the gap would be about 20 feet to the left. It is there.

Me and a few of my freinds were working on the lip(and our nerve to hit it) with shovels and rakes one day and the ranger caught us :eek: ....Needless to say he was pissed. we were lucky he didn't act on how pissed he was.

Anyways I never got the nerve to gap it. every time i get my skills to that point I end up with a broken bone(and it is always when I least expect it or need it)... so I just do the mandatory drops and jumps anymore.I like to fly low.
All this talk about ebey has me getting ready to go....Boy is it going to be cold.
I have been living about 3 miles from there for about 6months now and have just been to busy with my new house(been building myself for about 6 months now, just got to drywall so I get a little breather for a few weeks before I have to finish it(I have never worked this hard in my life.) so I have not been able to ride as much as I would like to.

All as I know is it will be done in march...and working more than my day job is NOT on the summer agenda.

I think my agenda is going to include lots of trips to canada and the moto track.

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
whidbeydh said:
Me and a few of my freinds were working on the lip(and our nerve to hit it) with shovels and rakes one day and the ranger caught us :eek: ....Needless to say he was pissed. we were lucky he didn't act on how pissed he was.
Do you truely understand what could have happened, and how many riders would be looking for your head?

Monte

·
Registered
192 Posts
Monte said:
Do you truely understand what just about happened, and how many riders would be looking for your head?

Monte
Yes I do. But I don't think trail closure was on his mind.
I think he wanted to have us all arrested.
That has been a few years now.
From what I understand he was/is a pretty cool guy, he just wanted to be the one who makes the trail building decisions in his park.
The interesting thing was we were working on what someone else had started,and since it happened somebody else has done more work there. I just avoid the whole area now.

I also helped a little in building spencers double diamond (legally) so I am not the guy trying to ruin it for everyone.
I realized after we had done it how careless of thinking it really was.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The good thing about Ebey is it's never really wet... Now if the horse riders would just deal with their horse crap...:madman:

I think there has been a changing of the guard with the rangers... New guy is not as dog friendly as the old park ranger. Now I carry a leash and hook him up. Oh well. We don't mind, as long as everyone gets along.

I think I'll be out there tomorrow:thumbsup:

·
Registered
341 Posts
I really like Fort Ebey. I even had my bachelor party there. Two days of bikes,beer and camping with my riding buddies. Does not get much beter than that.
Fort Ebey is a rare state park. Most state parks are not bike friendly, but Ebey is real good about bikes.Do what you can to keep it that way.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Wrench Monkey said:
I really like Fort Ebey. I even had my bachelor party there. Two days of bikes,beer and camping with my riding buddies. Does not get much beter than that.
Fort Ebey is a rare state park. Most state parks are not bike friendly, but Ebey is real good about bikes.Do what you can to keep it that way.

That does sound like a lot of fun!!!

I agree it is rare! Anacortes has a very unique situation as well. The ACFL are also a favorite of mine... Both are twenty minutes from my driveway.

The LBS owner has taken over maintenance on the non state park side... I'll be joining forces with them in the spring.

I tread very lightly out there... I try not to be noticed.;)

·
Registered
341 Posts
The ACFL is a great trail system,and so close to town. I have only been there twice,and had lots of fun. I would ride there more but it is an hour+ drive and a ferry trip each way. And now the ferry is down.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts