Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm older, 5'4" (on a good day), 110 lbs dripping wet, long legs, short torso. I haven't ridden a bike in years, but just moved to an area where that will be possible again. I'll mostly stick to dirt roads and the occasional gentle trail. Since I won't ever become an avid, do-or-die rider, I think a budget of $3,000 USD should get me a bike that's good enough.

There isn't a lot available right now. I tried a Diamondback Artoz 2 but felt like I had too much weight on the handlebars and it seemed a little big, even though it was sized small. Back in 2009, I demoed a Specialized P1 and it was so intuitive, I've never forgotten how it felt to ride it.

I'm currently riding my husband's 2009 Specialized XC Comp FSR, which is WAY too big, but I liked it better than the Artoz.

On Saturday, I'll get to try a Giant Stance 27.5".

I wish I could find a data base that would tell me what brands and models are available with a 15"-16" seat post, full suspension, under $3K, but there doesn't seem to be any such animal. I would be willing to buy used, but it's hard to know what to look for since nearly all the used bikes are sized medium or large.

Any and all advice would be welcome!

·
Registered
221 Posts
My wife's about 5'5" and fairly leggy too. She loves her size S2 Stumpjumper. Hers is the carbon s-works version. The alloy version looks like it has the same geometry and is within your budget, with something left over for fit items such as seat, stem (different length), grips and pedals.

·
Registered
529 Posts
My wife's about 5'5" and fairly leggy too. She loves her size S2 Stumpjumper. Hers is the carbon s-works version. The alloy version looks like it has the same geometry and is within your budget, with something left over for fit items such as seat, stem (different length), grips and pedals.

View attachment 1943213
If you get this, you might as well get the one step up alloy comp version IMO it's just over $3000 but packs more value per dollar

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
At your height...you can ride a 29er. It'll depend on what handling characteristics you want. As the suspension travel gets longer...the more you're going to have to "handle" the bike at lower speeds. There is a reason why some manufacturers will spec small bikes with 27.5 wheels.

The other bike you can look into is the Canyon Neuron. They have some decent spec'd bikes at under 3k.

·
ilmfat
1,313 Posts
A couple seasons back. At 4'7" I let her sample an Xs 27.5+ and a Small 29er. She chose the Sm 9er.

Her little sister last season on a 12" 29 at 4'5". She just asked to go to a small at 4'9".

Both prefer the rollover of 29.

·
ilmfat
1,313 Posts
29x2.6 Hardtails ride pretty great. Even with rigid forks. Lighter riders have an advantage when it comes to running lower air pressures. If you find yourself riding chunkier/techier spots, it is currently a seller's market for the budget trail hardtails.

·
Registered
353 Posts
my wife rides a liv embolden. For her first full suspension mountain bike its perfect for her. Its super light and with the doer 12speed it rocks. Rear shock def needs to be upgraded and the giant front fork is good for her. The polygon is super heavy. My son has the t7 and i bet its 38lb all day. That live cant be more then 31-32 pounds max

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my wife rides a liv embolden. For her first full suspension mountain bike its perfect for her. Its super light and with the doer 12speed it rocks. Rear shock def needs to be upgraded and the giant front fork is good for her. The polygon is super heavy. My son has the t7 and i bet its 38lb all day. That live cant be more then 31-32 pounds max
She has the Giant brand Crest fork? I've seen mixed reviews. Glad it is working out for her. The small Embolden is currently out of stock, but the geometry seems pretty close to the giant Stance in the XS size and that is what I can test on Saturday. If she also rode the Stance, did she note many differences?

·
Inspector Gadget
Nor*Cal and I like bikes
1,192 Posts
My wife is 5’4” and rides a 2020 medium Stumpjumper ST 29er. Once she tried a 29er she was sold. It’s hard to find bikes in stock… just keep visiting shops and test riding whatever fits. Eventually you’ll figure out what feels good and what doesn’t. Also check out the website 99spokes. You can compare bikes based on many parameters, even geometry. Bike fit these days… you need to look at reach & stack and compare to bikes you have now or have ridden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
353 Posts
She has the Giant brand Crest fork? I've seen mixed reviews. Glad it is working out for her. The small Embolden is currently out of stock, but the geometry seems pretty close to the giant Stance in the XS size and that is what I can test on Saturday. If she also rode the Stance, did she note many differences?
she has only rode this bike. The fork makes a ticking sound. My giant fathom had that fork and it worked fine. I did make a ticking sound, it didn't do anything to performance. I think within the next year she will want a longer bigger bike as we are moving from so cal to arizona and we plan on doing lots of riding in sedona and other local trails. You might want to look into the marin bikes as well. Well under 3k with decent components. I ride the alpine trail 7 2021 and its 2800 and the bike is a beast. The marin rift zone 2 and 3 are under 3k.

·
ilmfat
1,313 Posts
A Stance leaves lots of room for upgrades, if the parts can be found. The Crest being a known issue gives you some leverage for an aftermarket fork. I'd also recommend shopping for a shop. There may be one you like the atmosphere of and then hopefully they have/can get an Xs or Sm dually. Especially with suspension, a good local shop rapport can be crucial.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey there! I'm 5'2" and 100 pounds with a similar build (long legs, lil torso), and an intermediate level rider (comfortable on black runs, can survive down a double black).
I purchased a polygon siskiu T7 (size small) almost a year ago, and it's been pretty much perfect! I'm a big fan of 27.5 personally, I've tried riding a friends 29er and found it unwieldy. The polygon was really affordable and is an amazing bike! Have ridden it on everything from pedally XC loops to downhill tracks and it handles them all like a champ.

Seat height is amazing for the smaller riders (I can have both feet flat to the ground with the dropper down). Bottle cage is also a huge bonus for me!

I'd be wary of taller riders speaking for shorter ones, as a few mates of mine have had their bikes set up by well meaning but clueless spouses :)

(She's had a lick of paint, fresh brakes and a new fork since purchase)

Tire Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just go on PinkBike classifieds and just put in what I'm looking for and see what bikes are available with those specs. I'm a dude but I ride small-frame bikes too(5'5") so I know your pain. I was just at two LBS last week and they both had exactly one small-frame bike; one was being held for a customer already. I ended up deciding to build a (27.5 enduro) bike and use a Kona Kahuna 29er for light trails. I'd suggest paying attention to your posture and hand placement; the bike shops may be able to modify the cockpit to your liking.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Hey there! I'm 5'2" and 100 pounds with a similar build (long legs, lil torso), and an intermediate level rider (comfortable on black runs, can survive down a double black).
I purchased a polygon siskiu T7 (size small) almost a year ago, and it's been pretty much perfect! I'm a big fan of 27.5 personally, I've tried riding a friends 29er and found it unwieldy. The polygon was really affordable and is an amazing bike! Have ridden it on everything from pedally XC loops to downhill tracks and it handles them all like a champ.
Thanks for the personal experience! Did you convert to tubeless? How much does your t7 weigh?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.