Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a FS bike. I'm looking at the 05 SJ FSR Comp Disc 100 and 05 FSR XC Pro. The main difference is the frame. Same geometry, but different material. Is the difference between A1 and M4 significant (weight, rigidity)? I don't race, I like to jump (not high) and drop (2-4 ft), and fly downhill. They both have the Triad shock (nice). SJ has hydraulic discs, XC has mech discs. Are the extra benjamins worth it? I'm not a serious rider, but like to have serious fun!!! :D Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The two models I'm looking at are both 100mm travel. I'm on the fence with the two frame materials and whether I should opt for the SJ or just save a few bucks and opt for the XC.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
M4 is lighter and stronger than A1.
Stumpy is a step up over fsr xc as mentioned and better componetry.
Will you be disappointed with the fsr xc? doubt it.

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
zettobike said:
The two models I'm looking at are both 100mm travel. I'm on the fence with the two frame materials and whether I should opt for the SJ or just save a few bucks and opt for the XC.
Spend the extra dough and get the FSR. I don' know nuthin' 'bout frame materials, etc., but the differences in componentry make it worth the extra cost.

Specifically, the XC comes equipped with a Manitou Splice fork, which as I've written elsewhere is a super-squishy OEM POS. You will end up replacing it!

The Comp comes with a Manitou Black - a good, quality mid-level fork.

Save yourself the time and trouble and just "spend up" to begin with. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
The XC models do only offer the 100mm travel and the frame materials are different but I would be interested to know if the 100mm XC and 100 FSR were the same frame geometries and shock placements? Makes sense they would be the same for production (simplicity sake) but does anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, after much searching, posting, reading, and listening, I've decided to spend the money up front and go with the SJ FSR Comp Disc 100. While the components are only a smidgin' above the FSR XC Pro, the frame (which is a slightly different design and material) will outperform and outlast. Thanks for all the input. It seems many people are in the same situation as this. I think the extra 300 bones is worth it. Now the question is this: for an extra $500 bones I can get the bottom end Epic with Fox 100RL and Brain Shock!!!! Options, options, options!!!! :confused: thanks.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
zettobike said:
Well, after much searching, posting, reading, and listening, I've decided to spend the money up front and go with the SJ FSR Comp Disc 100. While the components are only a smidgin' above the FSR XC Pro, the frame (which is a slightly different design and material) will outperform and outlast. Thanks for all the input. It seems many people are in the same situation as this. I think the extra 300 bones is worth it. Now the question is this: for an extra $500 bones I can get the bottom end Epic with Fox 100RL and Brain Shock!!!! Options, options, options!!!! :confused: thanks.
Hate to jump in so late, but you did mention " I don't race, I like to jump (not high) and drop (2-4 ft), and fly downhill"
With a new bike you might find yourself going a bit bigger/faster/higher and while the Stumpy/FSR will take some abuse, from your description you're almost "freeriding" now, so it might be worth considering (at least test riding) an Enduro, since it's built a bit more FR-oriented than the Stumpy/fsr.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.