Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some input here: I currently ride a 2007 Specialized FSR XC in mostly a mildly agressive XC/Trails mode. I am a recreational rider but do enter a 24 hour event once a year and do some other events here and there. I purchased the FSR in 2007 as my first mountain bike and have gradually upgraded some components on it, adding disc brakes, new wheels, and a tubeless setup. Overall, I like the bike but my two main dislikes with it are pedaling efficiency (bob) and weight (30+#).

I have a little over $1000 to spend and am torn between either:
a. upgrading the FSR to lighter, better components (rockshox reba fork, custom rp23 rear shock, cranks, cassette, etc) or
b. taking advantage of some of the end of year clearances on frames and picking up either a blur xc, flux, or racer x. I would likely build it with my current components and then upgrade down the road, likely in the very near future.

Ultimately, now that I have gained some skill, what I'm looking to accomplish is to have a lighter, more efficient machine. Is the FSR worth pumping this much cash into? Opinions?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
if your happy with the geo and the 100mm of travel i dont see why not, i had an 07, my only real complaint was the fork, i also didnt like they way my seat would be way over the bars in order to get a good leg extension, other that that it was a good bike which you can make a lot lighter if you have the money,

first of all though, the fork and shock are entry level, it will cost you a lot to upgrade to something better, secondly, the only place youll feel any real weight loss is in the wheels, light wheel sets also cost a lot, by the time your through getting the bike to perform how you want youll have spent probably more money than you would have on a new bike in the first place

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had an 07 FSRxc Pro. It had a Rock Shock fork and the Triad. I thought those two items made the difference for that bike. I used it in a bunch of races and it handled great. Be careful with the rear shock, fox doesn't make an aftermarket replacement for that bike that fits. You may have to either buy one and get it pushed or see if you can get a triad from Specialized. The Reba will probably cut about 1 lb off the stock fork you have on the bike now.

I had my bike down to about 26.5 lbs.

That said, I sold the bike when my friend decided he wanted to get rid of his Santa Cruz, which I bought. The Blur XC is going to be expensive, even if you can find an online deal. One of my friends has an Racer X 29er and its an awesome ride.

I would say that if you can test ride any of the bikes you are thinking about upgrading to, do that. See if you like the geometry of those bikes more than the xc. I liked the SC geometry better and I was able to build it up pretty cheap under 26 lbs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fork and shock

Actually, the 2007 Tora weighs almost 2 pounds more than either a reba or a fox f32! The rear shock is a drama unto itself (which has been mentioned quite a bit on this board) but basically, push will build me a custom one based on a a 6.5" rp23.

·
Happy Trails
1,177 Posts
My opinion...

I spent $800 on a 2003 SJ upgrade for Easton AM wheels; great brakes (V-brake to XT hydro), bigger tires suited for my for my local trails; and and better geometry. I'm glad I did the upgrade. There is a lot more detail at the post below:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=473098

For $800, I'd say my upgrades versus a downpayment for a "new" used bike was a tie. Any more than $800 would probably be overkill for a frame that is two generations old... The '03 frame does have some questionable design features and is a little heavy. But I get a lot of satisfaction by keeping the old stuff rolling, and this will end up being a great buddy bike when I finally replace it.

If you really want a bike that rides a lot different (better) from your current FSR, then for a grand, I'd keep your FSR exactly like it is and then use the thousand towards a 2008 closeout. I've seen some of those baby-blue SJ Expert "test" bikes on eBay for $1800-2000 in nearly new condition. This seems like a killer deal to me. The new SJ FSR frame (2008 and after) is really, really sweet. And ChainLove blows out those "semi" Racer-X's with all aluminum frames for $1700 every once in a while. That's really a killer deal.

But I reckon the '07 FSR frame is pretty nice, and very well made...Surely better than my 2003 FSR... so putting some new gear on it would make for a sweet bike. And don't swap the fork... definitely PUSH it.

So I think it really comes down to how much $1000 means to you. If it's a huge deal, then save it towards a new bike. Otherwise, you'll probably get so stoked on riding your upgrades you'll want a new bike anyways, and you'll be bummed that you spent the thousand. But if you can deal with having a thousand bucks hanging on a bike that you lend to your boys when they come in from out of town after you DO finally get that new Blur (or whatever), then go for it.

Let us know what you end up doing! Happy trails!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.