Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

While looking at the Specialized website for sizes for the FSR XC... this is all I could find:

05 FSR XC

X-Large

Stand Over Height - 734mm
Top Tube Length - 638mm
Head Tube Length - 150mm

How does one determine the frame size? (ie 19", 20", etc)

I found an XL in stock for the '05 model... but am not sure if it's too large for me (6'1").
No local shops have them either so I can't try one out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Try this link

Hey Ottawa,

I was lucky enough to pick up an '05 FSRxc from my lbs last month. As for me, I got lucky and they had an '05 in stock and it fit fine (M - 5'9" 31 inch inseam). They gave me $300 off MSRP also. You can go here and click the "Geometry (bike metrics)" link on the bottom left: http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?arc=2005&spid=9676

This should give you the specs to all sizes. As for sizing, I think Specialized has it this way, (M) 17", (L) 19" and (X) 21". Not sure where you fit, you'll really have to ride one and have the lbs crew look at how you fit to determine. I'm a newbie myself, but have found out on this forum that TT length is as important, if not more, than frame clearance while standing.

If you're not in a rush, you might as well wait until Sept. when the '07s come out. Then you can get an '06 at a bigger discount?! Good luck.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
"frame size" is no longer that relevant, since you can do a lot with seatpost adjustment to match your leg length.

You need to select the frame size with a top tube length that matches your torso length and arm reach. There are some variables like stem length/handlebar reach and seat position fore-aft you can use to fine tune the cockpit to your liking after that.

You should really try and find a Large to test out as well, since you might be in between L and XL.

If you have a bike that currently fits you pretty well, check the (horizontal) TT length, and the stem length. That should give you an idea of the TT length for the new bike.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool thanks for the info guys!
So if I end up being in between a L and XL... I suppose either one would fit me equally well.
Due to the design of the FSRxc... it looks like if it's an XL and I would normally take a L, I could get away with it easier.
Sucks that no local shops have the FSRxc around in any size over medium... so will have to try and compare to other bikes I have tried.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
OttawaMTB said:
Cool thanks for the info guys!
So if I end up being in between a L and XL... I suppose either one would fit me equally well.
Due to the design of the FSRxc... it looks like if it's an XL and I would normally take a L, I could get away with it easier.
Sucks that no local shops have the FSRxc around in any size over medium... so will have to try and compare to other bikes I have tried.
Yeah, if you can measure the TT length of a bike that fits you, you can try and match that to the L or XL frame specs. It's still risky buying a frame without a test fit, but if that's not an option, you'll have to go with your best guess.

Another thing to keep in mind, if you generally like to be stretched out on a bike, and are a really climbing-oriented rider, the XL might be best, if you like a more compact frame, then maybe the L.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.