Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 FSR Elite and found the 100mm travel wasn't enough so have bought some Rock Shox Revelation (130mm travel). However it has made the stearing change and I'm not sure I like the new feel of it, it doesn't as feel responsive as it used to.

Any ideas of how I can tweak the geometry? I notice the newer 2006 models with 130mm of travel have stems with 8 degree rise, and are a 105mm rather than my 110mm.

Would this help? A longer or shorter or longer stem? Or have I a frame that is just not suited to a longer fork?

Any ideas? :confused:

cheers :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
A shorter stem will speed up the steering, but you might not like what it does to your position on the bike. I find that the steering on a 120mm FSR (factory) is quite a bit slower than on a 100mm bike. I don't particularly like it; yes it does feel safer going downhill, but overall I don't like the more ponderous feel.

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
johniboy73 said:
I have a 2004 FSR Elite and found the 100mm travel wasn't enough so have bought some Rock Shox Revelation (130mm travel). However it has made the stearing change and I'm not sure I like the new feel of it, it doesn't as feel responsive as it used to.

Any ideas of how I can tweak the geometry? I notice the newer 2006 models with 130mm of travel have stems with 8 degree rise, and are a 105mm rather than my 110mm.

Would this help? A longer or shorter or longer stem? Or have I a frame that is just not suited to a longer fork?

Any ideas? :confused:

cheers :thumbsup:
Keep travel at 100mm for climbing, crank it out for descending. I run a Talas on my 04 Stumpy, and it works great. The longer travel stabilizes the bike coming down.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You could install a BETD rear link for a little more rear travel (and a little more bb height). The head angle would go back to the stock ballpark, but the bike would still be taller than before so it wouldn't feel quite as nimble. However you'd have more travel front and rear...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.