Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
orthonormal
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RobG said:
It comes with a 130 mm fork, Fox Talas RL specifically.
Thanks, but that's not what I was asking. The TALAS is adjustable from 90-130mm travel and if you look at the head/seat tube angles and top tube lengths on the Specialized web stie, they are the same. So either the front triangles are the same for both 100 and 120 models, in which case they'd have to set the fork to 100mm travel to get those geometry numbers or the front triangles are different, with the geometry adjusted to get the same angles and TT length with the fork set to 130mm.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The head tube angle is measured with a 100 mm fork. If you sit on the bike with a 130 mm fork, you get the same angle due to sag. I use a Marzocchi Marathon XC which has 120 mm travel which provides an almost CC-like geometry, especially, if I lower the fork with ETA on the climbs. I advise a travel adjust fork in the FSR 120!

-b

·
Two wheels are best
1,135 Posts
Yes, the head tube angles are measured with the fork set at 100mm travel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
First off, sorry if I gave bad info. I was relaying what my rep told me when I asked him the same question. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that he was full of s**t. Did your info come from a more reliable source?
Let me know. I hate it when someone whose job it is to know these things feeds me b.s.

·
Registered
252 Posts
enduroubaix said:
First off, sorry if I gave bad info. I was relaying what my rep told me when I asked him the same question. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that he was full of s**t. Did your info come from a more reliable source?
Let me know. I hate it when someone whose job it is to know these things feeds me b.s.
The most reliable source if you take the measurements yourself. You won't beleive the differences between the catalogue geometry figures and the ones taken using a professional tool...

-b

·
orthonormal
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
macsi said:
The most reliable source if you take the measurements yourself. You won't beleive the differences between the catalogue geometry figures and the ones taken using a professional tool...

-b
I wish more manufacturers would list an exact axle to crown measurement with their geometry numbers. It affects head and seat tube angles, bottom bracket height and effective top tube length.

·
Two wheels are best
1,135 Posts
andy f said:
I wish more manufacturers would list an exact axle to crown measurement with their geometry numbers. It affects head and seat tube angles, bottom bracket height and effective top tube length.
Yeah, but if they did, we'd have less to do on rainy days! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.