Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
shoes
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the FSA zero stack orbit z 1.5 -1 1/8 reducer headset fit on a demo 7 frame?

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,748 Posts
Shouldn't be a prob. Just watch out that the knobs on your fork clear the downtube... I have the Cane Creek Double XC which has more insertion (20mm) to reduce ovalizing:

Attachments

·
shoes
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks pretty sick, how has it held up? any retightening? I will be running a 66 through it with a 1 1/8 steerer.

·
i like rocks
1,606 Posts
teh cane creek is a good piece of kit, mine has been super reliable. i think a step up from the FSA.

·
shoes
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is the cane creek double xc flush sealed cartridge?

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,748 Posts
scrwscrnnms said:
That looks pretty sick, how has it held up? any retightening? I will be running a 66 through it with a 1 1/8 steerer.
Honestly I've only had it for a few months... Another guy in town's been bashing one all this season and hasn't serviced it yet. I am using the same set-up and yes it is cartridge bearing... Mine's on a Bottlerocket:

Attachments

·
shoes
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Uncle Cliffy said:
Honestly I've only had it for a few months... Another guy in town's been bashing one all this season and hasn't serviced it yet. I am using the same set-up and yes it is cartridge bearing... Mine's on a Bottlerocket:

I think I'm going with the cane creek. Thanks guys

·
Some dude who digs bikes
171 Posts
euroford said:
teh cane creek is a good piece of kit, mine has been super reliable. i think a step up from the FSA.
Agreed. Mine was an upgrade from an FSA. I don't have the zero stack, but it has lasted 4 years, with zero issues.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Super tough to press and to get the lower race to seat into the lower bearing. But once there, its magic.
I've had the fork for 3 months now an just reciently got a chance to really ride it. I must say it proforms as good or better than my 66 lite eta. I did some fast dh on it and some FR. Hit a 12ft drop nosed it bad but the fork and compression adj saved my ass. brilliant fork.
I wish that car was mine too

·
Bike Ninja |||
2,037 Posts
All good headset suggestions, I liked the Syncros FBI headset when I had my demo. Zero stack, has a lower needle bearing out of a ktm dirtbike (no joke) and sealed roller bearing up top. deep insertion as well.

That being said, it's a good idea to get the deepest insertion reducer you can. My friend just ovalized his Demo 7 frame (not two days ago) using the Acros reducer. it only has about 10mm of insertion. kinda sad looking at that frame and then being able to press the headset in with just your hand.:eekster:

Moral of the story, get a deep insertion headset! and check it often...

·
shoes
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Demodude said:
On the Demo 7. Never loosens with the parallel sides

dually noted, nice ride(s)! How do you like that demo 7? I'm completely rebuilding my tattoo frame bike. Exactly which HS did you go with?

·
go huck yourself
506 Posts
does anyone know if the sunline with a 2006 marzocchi 66rc2x will clear the downtube on a small bottlerocket? the cane creeks to expensive

·
shoes
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have heard bad things about the sunlines cups being too weak for FR/DH use. Try going for the FSA if you are strapped for cash

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Uncle Cliffy said:
Shouldn't be a prob. Just watch out that the knobs on your fork clear the downtube... I have the Cane Creek Double XC which has more insertion (20mm) to reduce ovalizing:
I use this headset on my Demo 7 to run boxxer team. Works great and realy lowers the stack height.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
925 Posts
Sunline reducer headset. (The only 1.5 hs that they make)
The D7 keeps blowing my mind. Carves better than my 06 D8. The bike is very nimble, you dont have to muscle the bike around like the D8

·
shoes
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can't wait to get mine built up. I'm just short a nice wheelset now... whats the biggest difference that you noticed between the d8 and d7. ups and downs of both?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Ups, it's pedalable.
Down,
D7 carves better, can do x-ups and barspins(have to learn them though), the freedom of single crown puts triple crowns to shame, Nimble, easy to muscle the bike around, Lighter, reacts to square edged hits far better, Very reactive feel= your imput=instantly felt on the bike
D8 - you know you're on a dh bike, cant do tight swichbacks with the triple crown (you could if you put a single crown though). I still love the D8

·
shoes
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just received my cane creek double xc reducer headset in the mail...I hope everything goes well. The cups look freakin huge!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts