Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first wheelset I've bought - so I'm a relative wheelset newbie. Looking through this forum, it seems that there are several things to consider when purchasing a hub: weight, points of engagement, how well it rolls/, and maintenance. And cost, of course! :)

That being said, I'm looking for a moderately light disc wheelset for my wife in the $300-350 range. The FSA XC300 is the first choice that is jumping out, but I'm also looking at possibly some Hopes or any other suggestions. The XC300's are 1800g which is pretty light for the price. However, I couldn't find any more info on how well they engage. Does anyone have any experience with them - is it going to be similar (crappy) engagement as an xt hub?

I was also looking at a Hope XC with Mavic 717 rim wheelset. My understanding is that Hopes give you a lot of bang for the buck - with 21 points of engagement. However, if my math is right they will be quite a bit heavier than the FSAs:

Hub f/r: 200+ 385
rim: 385 *2
spokes (wheelsmith butted): 172*2
nipples (wheelsmith): 14g*64
---------------------------------------------
= 2595 g

Now, my wife is upgrading from a very light (non-disc) wheelset: Rolf Satellite hubs, dolomite rims with 20 spokes in the front and 24 rear. She is a light-weight (she'd kill me if I posted her weight :D) moderate xc type rider - no drops, and she does not race. She likes xc technical terrain and we live in the wet pacific NW.

In her mind she wants the lightest wheelset possible. However, is it more important to have better engagement than the lightest wheels? This will be an upgrade and we want something that will last. I know the two wheelsets listed are very different and appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I put fsa xc 300's on my Anthem frame

My opinion is that the engagement is similiar to XT, but I have not opened up the hub and would not know what to look for if I did.

The rear wheel went out of true and the LBS says they have got it as round as they can.

The rear wheel has a noticable sideways flex on rocky terrain. I am 160 pounds and ride/race xc.

I liked the price when I bought these, but I wish I had spent an extra 200 bucks to get a good custom wheelset with 32-36 spokes on the rear.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Your math is a bit off:

Hubset : 585
Rims: 790
Spokes: 344
Nipples: 65

Total: 1784grs... impressive weight figure, if you ask me. Bombproof for a lady.
At rough market prices, it would set you back approx 430 bucks for materials and add some for the build.

You were considering the weight of the nipples incorrectly... you can't get 14 grams out of a nipple unless they're made out of depleted Uranium.

Add 60 bucks, sustract 100 grams and add 3 pts of engagement for Hope Pro II hubs.

I'm getting wheels build and I'll go for DT Swiss X455's (claimed weight is 455grs) and they cost like 45 bucks... good bang for the buck.

With these rims and the XC's, you can hit the 1900grs mark with less than 400 bucks.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright then - I was thinking my math had to be wrong somehow. Universal has the nipples as 14 gm each - they probably come in a set and I misread it. They have a handbuilt hope XC/717 wheelset for $319. Not too bad.

So, with the corrected math let me restate my question. How do the FSA hubs and Hope XC's compare? I haven't been able to find any info on engagement points for FSA. And, do the extra engagement points make *that* big a difference?

·
Don't touch me!
784 Posts
slcdawg said:
So, with the corrected math let me restate my question. How do the FSA hubs and Hope XC's compare? I haven't been able to find any info on engagement points for FSA. And, do the extra engagement points make *that* big a difference?
I'd shoot FSA an e-mail about the engagement points. But for my money, I wouldn't even consider the FSA's when looking at the Hope's. I'd spring for the Pro II's, if I could manage. I use a rear Hope Bulb and I like it... a lot. Used to have some low level Shimano's, Shimano XT's, and Mavic Crossride's.

The Mavics had more engagement points than the Shimanos (2 more IIRC). Could tell a difference. Now running WTB LL's and the Hope Bulb. The WTB has 24, and the Hope has 32. Can definitely tell the difference with those two compared to the Shimano's. The extra EP's really help out in technical sections and fun stuff like trackstands.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok - been doing a little more research. It sounds like shimano deore/xt hubs have 16 points of engagement and hope xc's have 21. Will the 5 extra points be noticable?

I'd love to go with the Pro II's but thats above my budget. The question then, is it worth it to spend $320 on the hope xc/mavic 717 combo? Or, is that pretty equivalent (aside from weight) to some of the xt wheelsets you see for $200 or less? Does the hope xc roll better than an xt or a mavic?

If I'm not willing to spend more, would it be pretty equivalent to get one of these two wheelsets (~2000gms) and save some money? Aside from the extra 300 grams.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/WH602A00-Mavic+Crossland+Wheelset.aspx
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/WH707A21-Shimano+Xt+Disc+X317+Wheelset.aspx

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,659 Posts
Great wheels for the cash.

Chuky has a pair of XC-300s on her SS... she loves them. I have heard complaints from heavier riders that the 24 spokes just don't build a stiff enough wheel. I have not had a problem at 165. If you aren't too big, they are fantastic and definitely one of the best values in a pre-built that I have seen.

JMH

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Can't even begin to compare an XT hub based wheelset with the ones you're looking at weight wise that is. The HopeXC/717 seems like a great buy at that price and for a lady will be seriously bomb proof.

My future wheelset is the Hope ProII laced to some DT 4.1d's, just about $380 and then shipping.

slcdawg said:
Ok - been doing a little more research. It sounds like shimano deore/xt hubs have 16 points of engagement and hope xc's have 21. Will the 5 extra points be noticable?

I'd love to go with the Pro II's but thats above my budget. The question then, is it worth it to spend $320 on the hope xc/mavic 717 combo? Or, is that pretty equivalent (aside from weight) to some of the xt wheelsets you see for $200 or less? Does the hope xc roll better than an xt or a mavic?

If I'm not willing to spend more, would it be pretty equivalent to get one of these two wheelsets (~2000gms) and save some money? Aside from the extra 300 grams.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/WH602A00-Mavic+Crossland+Wheelset.aspx
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/WH707A21-Shimano+Xt+Disc+X317+Wheelset.aspx

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That seems like a great price for a ProII wheelset. Where are you getting it for $380? (thinking of a future purchase for myself:D)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BTW - The weight difference between the two cheap sets at Jenson and the Hope XC is 300 grams - pretty significant. However, the first set is tubeless so the overall difference (incl tires) would actually be much less.

But, I'm curious if weight is the only benefit? Or will the hope XC's roll better/perform better than xt?

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
LyNx said:
My future wheelset is the Hope ProII laced to some DT 4.1d's, just about $380 and then shipping.
Yeah... spill the beans, Lynx...

That's a steal! DT's are 140 alone, plus 250 of hubs....

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
slcdawg said:
But, I'm curious if weight is the only benefit? Or will the hope XC's roll better/perform better than xt?
I'll let you know... I'm getting Hopes XC Front / Bulb rear and I'm actually running Shimano's 555 (very similar to XT in performance and weight).

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I imagine you will notice quite a bit of difference with the bulb as it has 36 points of engagement versus 16 for xt. Since the XC only has 21 points, I'm wondering if its noticable or not.

But, I look forward to your review. :)

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
slcdawg said:
I imagine you will notice quite a bit of difference with the bulb as it has 36 points of engagement versus 16 for xt. Since the XC only has 21 points, I'm wondering if its noticable or not.

But, I look forward to your review. :)
Duh!!
Yeah, sorry... I forgot about that, actually. Dumb me.

I'll keep you guys posted, anyway.

·
- factotum -
821 Posts
If you can get a Hope wheelset with 717s that is handbuilt don't hesitate: Buy it!!

Hope Hubs will last. They are easy to service and if the bearings fail you can buy new ones easily. They use some standard industry bearings.

The only thing with 717s is their weight limit: it's about 75kg for the rider.
And I have had an odd experience with those rims (2004 version): There is a little metal thingie inside the rim where the rim is welded. This somehow came loose and made a little click sound while slow rolling. A friend of mine has experienced the same although his 717 was of a different production year (2005). After a few rides this "click" was gone. I guess it came loose because of heat (rim brakes) and resettled somehow. I think it is nothing to worry about.

Mostly with Wheelsets like FSA, Mavic and the likes there is a shortage in spare parts. You won't find freehub bodys for older (2003 and before) Mavic Crossmaxes. I had one little ring inside the rear hub break and was looking for replacement. The only thing I could find was an old Mavic rear hub that was broken and I could take this little ring. They didn't sell spare parts and I don't know how the situation is today. And I don't know about FSA, but I heard too many great things about Hope hubs that I bought a Pro II singlespeed (5gear) rear hub and its so great! I recommend them! You will definetely feel the extra engagement points. I did feel a difference between XTs 16 and a DT onyx 18 - singletrails were much more flow then. So with Hope XC's 21 points it will be great. Go for it!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
:p I know something you don't know :D :p LMAO

There have been a couple threads about new wheels in this category so keeping up with them is a bit hard. I did that price off A.E. Bikes

Warp said:
Yeah... spill the beans, Lynx...

That's a steal! DT's are 140 alone, plus 250 of hubs....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, I know this is prob very obvious but what does the A and E stand for? :)

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
slcdawg said:
Ok, I know this is prob very obvious but what does the A and E stand for? :)
Alfred E. Bikes....

The site is aebike.com

However, if you type aebikes.com, it takes you to beyondbikes site... spooky!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep, its pretty obvious.:rolleyes:

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts