Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted before...none replied. i want to know if dt swiss 240s laced to dt 4.1d rims are better then FSA's xc300. the price difference is significant and the FSA's have some cool features. I ride wtb speed disc lites laced to laserbeam reims. should I stick with them? DOES ANYONE HAVE PERSONAL EXPERIENCES WITH THESE WHEELS? please help.

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
I like my Magura Pro wheelset (which are Mavic 717 laced to rebadged DT240s hubs and supercomp spokes)........light, decent engagement (as compared to my CK wheelsets), sturdy enough for xc and some am.......Best of all Cheap (about 400 bucks.......)

·
Just Grin and HUCK it...
855 Posts
EnduroRacer128 said:
I posted before...none replied. i want to know if dt swiss 240s laced to dt 4.1d rims are better then FSA's xc300. the price difference is significant and the FSA's have some cool features. I ride wtb speed disc lites laced to laserbeam reims. should I stick with them? DOES ANYONE HAVE PERSONAL EXPERIENCES WITH THESE WHEELS? please help.
I currently am riding on a set of DT 240s hubs laced to DT 4.1d hoops. I weight about 200 w/gear and ride a Turner RFX. I moved over these wheels from my 5 spot when I got the RFX. They have been flawless so far even though they're way more geared more for XC riding.
Previous to the DTs I had WTB laser disc hubs laced to speed disc hoops. They were OK, but not nearly as durable as the dt 4.1s and the rear hub had quite a bit of play in it by the time I got the dts.

IMO the dt 240s laced to 4.1ds is way mo betta than the WTBs you are on now. Can't give an opinion regarding the FSAs since I haven't had any experience with them.

G'luck with your decision.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the advice. How much did SilverSpot's DT's cost. Another couple wheelsets I am considering (need to narrow it down): Spinergy Xyclone discs and Easton AM havoc. Anyone own or tested these wheels that could give advice? Thanks!

·
Just Grin and HUCK it...
855 Posts
EnduroRacer128 said:
thanks for the advice. How much did SilverSpot's DT's cost. Another couple wheelsets I am considering (need to narrow it down): Spinergy Xyclone discs and Easton AM havoc. Anyone own or tested these wheels that could give advice? Thanks!
My DTs cost me around $500 for the set. They're not cheap but they're worth it IMO. I haven't had any problems with them whatsoever.

I have no experience with the Spinergys but I have heard some good reports about the Havocs.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
The XC-300 is meant to be a great value, it isn't on the same bling level as DT 240 hubs. But it isn't really meant to compete with high-end wheelsets in that area.

Chuky has both wheelsets... they have both been ultra-reliable, great XC wheels. The DT wheels are about 50% more expensive though and a bit lighter.

JMH

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Try oddsandendos

Purple Liquid said:
does anyone ride the XC-300? What about the XC-500? (I heard the XC-500 was new for 2007)

I just want a pretty light wheelset around the $400-500 mark.

Sorry for thread jacking, but I think this is where you're looking too :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Mike Garcia can make you some sick light wheels for $380 at 1595g

Velocity vxc rims laced to laser disc lite hubs. Got them on my Flux....:thumbsup:

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Hmm, you're right. Maybe the 1800g is the weight with skewers. The two sets I have had have been between 1740-1750. You're right, no UST on that wheelset, but Stans strips work great, and Chucky ran them this way on her bike continuously for two years with no problems.

XC-500 won't be available for a while I am guessing. Saw them at IB, though, and they look really clean.

JMH

Purple Liquid said:
Yeah I found nothing on mtbr.

I'm seeing two different weights being thrown around for the XC-300. I'm seeing 1700 and 1800. Which is it?!:confused: The only problem I have witht he 300's is that they aren't ust, which bugs me.

the xc-500's are, but they are heavier. :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.