Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
It's carbon dontcha know.
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running an 07 RC2X Marz 66 on my Highline with an FSA Pig Reducer headset. Every so often I'm having to stop and re-adjust the headset because it comes loose and I can feel play. The stem is always tight so I'm not sure how I'm developing the play.

Has anyone else run into similar issues with reducer headsets?

·
should know better.....
749 Posts
Did the lower race get seated properly on the fork crown? Because if you tighten the star nut/top cap down snug, then tighten the stem correctly, that's the only other thing that can move to create the loose headset. Make sure it is bottomed out, and that when you put it all together, everything is being assembled in the right order, and seating properly.

·
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I know. If I could get the damn fork out of the headset I'd start again from scratch. But I'm hitting it as hard as I can with a rubber mallet and the compression cone thingy in the top doesn't want to budge to free the fork :/

·
Professional Troll
2,783 Posts
6thElement said:
Fork off, POS headset inspected...

I'm using a compression plug, but that shouldn't even be a consideration once the stem is tight...
Ya its a **** headset. I just pulled mine apart to replace a fork, and I had sheered off a section of the bottom cup. Like a circular chunk of aluminum (or steel) just fell out. Cane creek now, FTW.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
The sheering sounds more like improper installation... A member on MTBR had completely sheered off the upper cup of his Sunline headset.

While the Pig DH Pro may not be the best headset out there, it does the job just fine.

·
Professional Troll
2,783 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
The sheering sounds more like improper installation... A member on MTBR had completely sheered off the upper cup of his Sunline headset.

While the Pig DH Pro may not be the best headset out there, it does the job just fine.
Doubtful, I've a pretty competent mechanic I'd like to think (years of working in a shop and wrenching on my FR/DH bikes, but I'm not above making mistakes I suppose). Maybe I ****ed up, but the headset cups themselves were a factory install, so maybe I could blame it on cannondale......I sure would like to divert the blame away from my incompetence if possible.It was just a chunck from like the area contacting the bearings, not like the surface that's against the headtube. Which made me believe that I had probably tightened the compression nut too much and just crushed the whole assembly. But the bearings were in fine shape, probably could've reused them. oh well, whatevs

·
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The crown race is fully seated on the steerer, the cups are fine, I changed from a Thomson stem to a Deity to see if that helped before this past weekend, but I was still getting the issue.

Now that I've taken it apart and put it all back together, I'll go find some stairs to jump off later and see how it fares.

·
Registered
875 Posts
chinkerjuarez said:
get rid of the compression plug. I tried a step better the hope head doctor, it kept coming loose, put back in the a good ol star nut and never has come loose again.
Thanks for that info.
Thanks for the thread too, OP. I have a Fat Pig reducer headset coming in this week for my Bottlerocket. I'll definitely keep an eye out for this issue.
But I won't be using this headset forever. Once I get a 1.5" steer tube fork, I'll probably get a Chris King or Cane Creek headset.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.