Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nashbar has an extra 25% off their Bargain Bin items today. That would make the following FSA SL-K crank sets $149.99 each:

FSA SLK MTB Triple 22/32/44t Crankset (9 Speed - 175mm)
FSA SLK ATB MegaExo 22/32/44t Crankset (10 Speed - 170/175mm)

Is there something I'm missing? That seems like a great price for anyone running a 3x9 or 3x10 setup. I'm going to buy the FSA SLK MTB Triple 22/32/44t unless someone has a good reason not to.

·
遅すぎ
431 Posts
If I remember correctly the rings are suspect and the BB sucks. May be something about flex too. You'd have to browse through the drivetrain forum to verify all that, but even though the arms are carbon, these things are heavy. There's a pic on ebay of these @ 860g w/BB. I'm pretty sure the XT triple is about the same and the SLX is only slightly more weight @ $100 (see ribble thread). Never had an issue with a Shimano crank ever. Edit: the 10 speed is listed as SRAM only. Not sure what that's about.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Edit: the 10 speed is listed as SRAM only. Not sure what that's about.
The nine speed is listed as 10 speed SRAM only on that spec page as well! I made sure it was crystal clear that the 9 speed version is nine speed, and includes the BB.

Nashbar owed me free shipping, has the 25% off on cross step 991 chains as well, and I can't find a better 9 speed 44/32/22 deal, so for $150, I don't really care that it's the same weight as a non-carbon crank.

Every triple crank I saw at Ribble was 10 speed.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My order showed up yesterday. The box indicates it is the S9 version. The BB is included. It looks very nice. I'm pretty excited about riding my bike home, taking off the BB, getting the bike down to the (good) LBS to be faced, and then getting home and installing it!

The 25% off is still available at Nashbar today, so if anyone was concerned about the 10 speed comment on the S9 version, I can confirm my crankset showed up as expected.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts