Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's detailed weights on the FSA K-Force light crankset:

complete crankset including BB and 3 spacer rings, 44/29 chainrings, 175mm lenght: 512g
BB: 99g
44t chainring: 101g
29t chainring: 26g

complete set without chainrings: 580g

FRM rings would save huge chunks of weight!!! i can't understand the guys at FSA for mounting these fat Pizzas:madman:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I wish someone offered a 32 or 34 tooth chain ring for them. They would be perfect on an SS with the better chain line. I'll be running the standard ones on my SS with a 32 on them.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts

·
Team Captain
1,322 Posts
Serious pain in the ass to deal with all the new BCD standards everyone is coming up with (Zipp, Rotor, XTR M960) when it comes to replacement rings! Looks like I'll be taking the dremel to those giant rings when I get my set...

·
bang
1,290 Posts
ok, but how much do they cost compared to other lightweight cranksets?

nino said:
i can't understand the guys at FSA for mounting these fat Pizzas
haha! yea, what's the deal with those things? they don't do that on any of their other chainrings...

·
Registered
626 Posts
Cyco-Dude said:
ok, but how much do they cost compared to other lightweight cranksets?

haha! yea, what's the deal with those things? they don't do that on any of their other chainrings...
Yes they do. Check out the new road crank (K Force Light), same style rings.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'd go for the 3x9 verson and mount TA 28t granny/42t middle instead. Probably lighter as well and more ideal for big ring-mashers like myself...

·
Tech geek and racerboy
651 Posts
Fat rings...

Check out the new XTR rings. How about high-end road offerings from SRAM, FSA, Shimano, etc. All those rings are thick chunks of metal with one thing in mind: rigidity. It may not hold too much weight (no pun intended, honestly) on this particular forum, but the extra rigidity in the rings does improve shifting performance, especially when paired with the beefy front mechs these companies are making, and especially if you're shifting under load. If you're not too concerned with that small increase in performance, by all means go ahead and save some weight on the rings. I for one appreciate the extra snap in my front shifting, and I really like the look of the new FSA 2x9 setup. Even with the relatively heavy BB and chainrings, it's still a pretty respectable weight, and the improved shifting and chainline of a double would be wicked awesome. I never use the damned granny anyway, especially when I race.

Too bad I have an annoying propensity to shred the ends of carbon cranksets on every rock in sight...

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
adn said:
I'd go for the 3x9 verson and mount TA 28t granny/42t middle instead. Probably lighter as well and more ideal for big ring-mashers like myself...
there is no 28t for 4-bolt - not even 29t.
the smallest you can get with 104mm 4-bolt pattern is the 30t from Extralite.

and rest assured the 3-ring FSA is a lot heavier than the double!

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ole said:
He said 28t granny, 42t middle. That would give you better chainline as well.

Ole.
ah i see.

BUT this won't give you a better chainline. the chainrings would be too far inward!
and it would get you an ugly looking crankset as well.

·
Registered
968 Posts
the old standard for xc cranksets chainline was 47.5mm. with the current external bearing cranksets the chainline standard is 50mm, measured from the middle ring of a triple crankset.

if you run a granny/middle 2x9 setup on an external bearing crankset the result is a 47.5mm chainline (measured to the mid-point between the two rings in a double setup), back to the old standard. i hardly call that too narrow.

so doing that solves the chainline issues of external bearing cranksets, but not the q-factor one which is why i haven't gone there yet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts