Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
k1creeker said:
Looking for a crank upgrade for my 5-spot anyone used this crank?
Not much in the way of search results. Thanks for any info.
Nothing wrong with FSA cranks. I would however skip ISIS and get something with the external bearings. My FSA ISIS bb lasted me about a month and it blew up. FSA told me to take a hike when I asked for bearing replacements.

BL

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2TurnersNotEnough said:
I have that crankset and its plenty stiff and light. The problem is that I'm on my second BB and it needs its bearings replaced.
Hey 2,
Is that the newer EXO external bearing or the older ISIS style?
People seem to have a ton of ISIS problems. I must be lucky because neither of the ISIS drive BBs I'm using have given me any trouble? One FSA and one RaceFace. Guess I got lucky. Do the external style BB's require yet another BB install tool? I'm up to 4 now and refuse to buy another. :rolleyes:

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
k1creeker said:
Hey 2,
Is that the newer EXO external bearing or the older ISIS style?
People seem to have a ton of ISIS problems. I must be lucky because neither of the ISIS drive BBs I'm using have given me any trouble? One FSA and one RaceFace. Guess I got lucky. Do the external style BB's require yet another BB install tool? I'm up to 4 now and refuse to buy another. :rolleyes:
Sorry I didn't clarify. I have the ISIS version of the FSA crankset and the American Classic BB. The good news with the Am-Classic is that the bearings are replaceable. To answer your other question, the Race Face X Type bearings use the tool that Shimano uses for their external bearings to put the cups in. I'm not sure about what tool you need for the FSA external bearings.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
bottom bracket

I have good old RaceFace Turbine LP cranks in ISIS flavor and had them for the past two years and change. I first got SRX bb, which died within days, I then decided to spend a little and got a Signature FR. It lasted me nearly two years, until I decided to repack the grease, but didn't flush out the mineral sprits properly which I used to flush out old grease with and my bearings seazed after my first wet ride. My fault. I then got a Signature XS which was on special at Supergo and that has taken me through most of this season, no problem. Get a good BB and ISIS is not as bad as everyone says.

All that being said, the interface on one of my crank arms has stretched and creaks with no cure in sight. I am looking at FSA K-Force carbon and Afterburner cranks. Can't say much about Team carbon. I am still nervous about going carbon with the cranks knowing how often I smack my cranks on rocks. Squeaky and others have K-Forces on their Packs, so that's some show of merit, but I don't know, call me old school with not easily reformed convictions. Team carbon look more XC, and I would compare that to putting Deus cranks on the 5 Spot. Definatelly doable, especially if most of what you ride is XC style, but if you play hard, not a good idea.

_MK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.