Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Drink...sleep
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My problem is the following: I had an FSA Carbon Gravity bar, tried to use lock-on grips and they kept slipping, even though I tightened them close to stripping the allen head. Measured the bar diameter, and it turned out the outside ends weren't round, but more like oval, hence those grips wouldn't stay put.

I sent the bar back, and just got a new one from FSA. This one has exactly the same problem. Even with the naked eye you can see it's not round. Wtf!? Makes me wonder if they're all like this (as FSA told me they use the same mold for all their bars)? It sure pisses me off big time. I just know that if I send it back again they'll send me another POS. Don't see how I can solve this either: taping it doesn't work and neither does carbon mounting paste. Does anyone here have a carbon Gravity bar with lock-on grips?

·
Drink...sleep
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, means there's still hope. I assume you don't gorilla-wrench those lock-ons down? :p

Check this out, I made a pic of the side of the bar and overlaid a perfect circle with Photoshop. The circle is too wide, yet also not tall enough; aka the bar is way out of wack. Going back to FSA, again :madmax:

Attachments

·
2,677 Posts
Boozzz said:
My problem is the following: I had an FSA Carbon Gravity bar, tried to use lock-on grips and they kept slipping, even though I tightened them close to stripping the allen head. Measured the bar diameter, and it turned out the outside ends weren't round, but more like oval, hence those grips wouldn't stay put.

I sent the bar back, and just got a new one from FSA. This one has exactly the same problem. Even with the naked eye you can see it's not round. Wtf!? Makes me wonder if they're all like this (as FSA told me they use the same mold for all their bars)? It sure pisses me off big time. I just know that if I send it back again they'll send me another POS. Don't see how I can solve this either: taping it doesn't work and neither does carbon mounting paste. Does anyone here have a carbon Gravity bar with lock-on grips?
Have you considered the lock on grips might be defective?

·
Drink...sleep
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
VTSession said:
Have you considered the lock on grips might be defective?
Yes, I've considered that, but it's not the case as they work perfectly on 3 other bars, and another set of lock-ons I have doesn't work with this bar either.

·
Drink...sleep
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As promised, I'd report back on what FSA'd say. Well, turns out it was indeed a manufacturing fault like I thought. It's even worse, after they checked my bar, it turned out the batch of handlebars they have currently left in stock in Europe all have got this problem. They told me I probably wouldn't get a replacement until September when they get new bars in. They are going to send me a temporary aluminium replacement though, at least that's something, but makes me wonder about their quality control.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Boozzz said:
As promised, I'd report back on what FSA'd say. Well, turns out it was indeed a manufacturing fault like I thought. It's even worse, after they checked my bar, it turned out the batch of handlebars they have currently left in stock in Europe all have got this problem. They told me I probably wouldn't get a replacement until September when they get new bars in. They are going to send me a temporary aluminium replacement though, at least that's something, but makes me wonder about their quality control.
Of course this ALSO means that tons of people are currently running these same "defective" bars with lock-on grips and having no troubles.

Maybe your wrists are just too strong?

JMH

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I'm running Easton Monkey Lite XC hi-rise bars (carbon) with LizardSkin Peaty lock-ons (ODI system) with no issues... a couple crashes and no slippage... i'm actually surprised at how well they've stayed on...

cheers

·
Drink...sleep
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JMH said:
Of course this ALSO means that tons of people are currently running these same "defective" bars with lock-on grips and having no troubles.

Maybe your wrists are just too strong?

JMH
Of course my wrists are super strong ;) But that's not it. FSA told me it was 'just a small batch' of bars, and only in Europe. Indeed, I found it very strange that I was the one who had to inform FSA about this problem. I am also not happy I won't get a replacement until September.

·
Drink...sleep
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Stevo the Devo said:
Out of left field, try a set of ESI chunky grips; they are not lockons, but stick like them, and are less than half the weight. Super comfy, with or without gloves, too!
Hehe, was using them until I completely ripped them up in a crash. That's why I switched to lock-ons. Though the ESI are more comfortable, the lock-ons stay in one piece when I crash. If the ESI didn't rip so easily, I'd be using them all the time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.