Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new frame on order "intense 5.5" and the bike shop is recomending FSA carbon cranks. Anyone have a pro or a con on these cranks? I would appreciate all your input.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
I've been using FSA Carbon Pros for about 1.5 years and have not got a single complaint about them. I happen to think they are stiffer than the XTRs I used to have, shift just as good and are simply reliable. They are also very durable, so there is nothing to worry about there.

Overall very happy!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Mine Broke.......

It took a couple of years (5) and my riding style changed from XC to All Mountain/freeride during that time. To be specific, the aluminum insert that the pedal screws into seperated from the carbon fiber. If you plan on doing any freeriding or aggresive riding, I would not recommend.

Prior to that, not one problem and loved them. Oh, I weight 150 pounds. Just replaced it with a holzfeller.

Later Mon.

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
924 Posts
flybyknight said:
I got a new frame on order "intense 5.5" and the bike shop is recomending FSA carbon cranks. Anyone have a pro or a con on these cranks? I would appreciate all your input.
After busting my Morati Ti cranks, I opted to go with a set of FSA Carbon Pros for my SS. I'm still bashing on these 4-yrs later. I was so happy with my FSAs, that when I started spec'ing my new Titus RX-100, I went with the Team Carbons and have been equally happy with these.

Each crank arm has taken numerous hard, direct rock hits, but the carbon shows little damage....just a few nicks and dings at the bottom, near the pedal insert. There are also just some light marks on the carbon's protective coating (much of which can be buffed-out with Lemon Pledge).

·
Registered
563 Posts
Trevor! said:
I've been using FSA Carbon Pros for about 1.5 years and have not got a single complaint about them. I happen to think they are stiffer than the XTRs I used to have, shift just as good and are simply reliable. They are also very durable, so there is nothing to worry about there.

Overall very happy!
come on dude, dont be sooooooooo biased. i remember that your first complain about your new bike was the left side of your fsa carbon crankset that was coming loose all the time. am i right?

·
Registered
563 Posts
YaMon said:
It took a couple of years (5) and my riding style changed from XC to All Mountain/freeride during that time. To be specific, the aluminum insert that the pedal screws into seperated from the carbon fiber. If you plan on doing any freeriding or aggresive riding, I would not recommend.

Prior to that, not one problem and loved them. Oh, I weight 150 pounds. Just replaced it with a holzfeller.

Later Mon.
if im not mistaken this problem was a comon issue with the older versions but was fixed later.

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
I just put a set of the K Force Carbon Exos on my 6-Pack.

The good:
- stiff as hell. At least as stiff, if not stiffer, than theRF Atlas I had on there before. I have no problem running these "XC racing cranks" on the big bike.
- bearings spin very smoothly, definitely smoother than the RF and about as good as Shimano
- Q factor is relatively narrow, at least compared to the new Shimano external BB cranks
- the crank arm/BB interface is much lower profile than the RF cranks which I need because I have a honker of a bone spur on my right ankle and it kept hitting the RF crank arm

The bad:
- They weigh 850gm, which isn't bad, but is 75-100 gm heavier than what was originally claimed. We verified this with several different sets and have seen similar numbers posted here. Still, it's 100gm less than the Atlas while maintaining stiffness
- they don't look nearly as cool after a few chunks of carbon come off from impact. No structural problems, just cosmetic. My style is aggressive trail ride and the terrain here is very rocky and so wear & tear will obviously vary depending on use & terrain
- Expensive, but that never stopped me before ;)

·
On your left.
1,188 Posts
they are not that light

Weight is the same as Race Face Turbine LPs which can be had for $130 with rings at Supergo. They may be stiffer, but for a 5.5" travel bike I'd certainly lean towards a forged crank.

For the $275 the FSA will cost you could get a set of Turbines and replace the inner and middle rings with Boone Ti rings.

That said I think you should get Race Face Deus cranks. Light, stout, smart.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'd keep looking if I were you. My first choice for cranks when I built up my 5.5 last year was a set of top-of-the-line FSA Carbon Team Issue cranks. They looked dead sexy, but when I weighed them they were about 100g heavier than advertised. That's all well and good, but for the price you're paying for them (I even got a deal) a set of XTR's was a better choice.

I think the real problem you'll find is that the chain line will be off and the cranks/shifting will be very difficult to setup properly. I had the cranks on my bike for a very short period of time during the build and didn't even get a chance to ride them. To maintain the chainline, I went with a set of XTR's and now that I've switched to flats, I'm running the new XT's.

There should be a few pix of my bike with the carbon cranks down in the Intense forum.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I may as well chime in here too.. I've been running Carbon Pro Team Issues for about a year now and absolutely love them. I'm also running the Platinum Pro Ti Isis BB w/o any complaints. They shifted awesome when they were new, but I'm thinking I either need a new big ring and/or chain now because shifting into the big ring is becoming less smooth. I've lost quite a bit of the clear coat from rock impacts, but the sides with the graphics still look beautiful. I'm very happy with them and I'd reccomend them to anyone looking for XC cranks. They are also respectably light and reasonably priced for what you get.

·
Registered
907 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Chain line is not an issue with the newer external BB cranks. They come with spacers which makes chainline adjustment a snap. The older ISIS types were trickier.
Adjusting the chainline with ISIS cranks really depends on which bottom bracket you are using. Some, like the American Classic, do not allow for any adjustment. While others, like the Race Face Signature, are easy to adjust.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.