Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

I am thinking about buying a fourstroke fs01 29er frame, but want to find out first how easy it is to service and how reliable it is designed.

Have any of you had problems with your fourstroke fs01 or fs02 frames such as: cracks, broken bearings, creaking or knocking noises, bad cable routing, etc.?

Does any of you know where I can find FS01 orFS02 assembly drawings and workshop manuals?

Thanks for any input! :)

·
Registered
2017 Transition Smuggler XL
1,130 Posts
I don't think that there are any manuals or drawings available.

Before I bought my bike I googled a lot about it. There was one incident described here: BMC Fourstroke FS01 29 Review

Also in French 29er forum one guy said that he has third frame (or perhaps it was Trailfox?). First two had problems but were replaced.

BMC does not like to communicate directly with end-users via e-mail. I haven't tried phone or Facebook - perhapse they are more responsive there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think the after selling service is more important than broken bearings ,cable routing etc..

If you have a good BMC dealer around then try the FS01, a nice 29er bike. If not, from what I've learned it will be ex hard to get communicate directly to BMC.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. :)

So none of you had first hand experience with failures or things you think is badly designed?

The reason why I am asking is that I would much rather ride my bike and fix it myself quickly than have it serviced by others which often takes a long time. No matter how good the service it is never convenient when it breaks down. I am in the process of returning my 1 month old Turner Czar, which had problems with the pivots and a big nasty crack in the seat tube. It was a very cool bike to ride, but errors like that are not acceptable.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi Brian, that's very interesting to hear negative comment of the new Czar. As far as I know the main problems of czar is tiny errors of the axle length(and it can be fixed). So what is the pivots problem of your Czar since it is using bushings instead of bearings?

I am looking for a 100mm marathon machine these days and have done some research of Specialized's epic, BMC's FS01 29 & Turner Czar ....all these bikes have their own problems some can fixed by you-self quickly just like you said ,and some can not(I wont put the trigger until BMC solve this pivot failure http://forums.mtbr.com/bmc/fs-01-pivot-maintenance-advice-needed-832210.html) , I call it design flaw. We cant intervene a design and productive process to avoid blemish, so there wont be a flawless bike ever. So we rely on CS...LBS.friends..

The Czar has the most C/P and very good CS from what I learned but BMC & SPECIALIZED GOT stylish , still hope BMC to pay attention to their CS and Specialized setting price more close to civilian on their S-WORKS line..

I'm tangled!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Brian, that's very interesting to hear negative comment of the new Czar. As far as I know the main problems of czar is tiny errors of the axle length(and it can be fixed). So what is the pivots problem of your Czar since it is using bushings instead of bearings?

I am looking for a 100mm marathon machine these days and have done some research of Specialized's epic, BMC's FS01 29 & Turner Czar ....all these bikes have their own problems some can fixed by you-self quickly just like you said ,and some can not(I wont put the trigger until BMC solve this pivot failure http://forums.mtbr.com/bmc/fs-01-pivot-maintenance-advice-needed-832210.html) , I call it design flaw. We cant intervene a design and productive process to avoid blemish, so there wont be a flawless bike ever. So we rely on CS...LBS.friends..

The Czar has the most C/P and very good CS from what I learned but BMC & SPECIALIZED GOT stylish , still hope BMC to pay attention to their CS and Specialized setting price more close to civilian on their S-WORKS line..

I'm tangled!
I know the talk about short axles and I do not agree that the length is the problem. Shortening the axles is treatment of symptoms and not does not treat the course. Basically, there is play between the bushing and bolt and it makes a lot of noise when connections slip under high forces. However, that I can handle, but I cannot handle a crack in a protected area after 1 months normal XC use.

I am sorry but I do not understand what C/P, CS and LBS means in this context and therefore do not follow you. Could you elaborate on it? :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
C/P:cost performance , pay less and get more
CS:customer service
LBS:local bike shop

so the Czar got a degsin flaw,I hate crack too ,seems like the plastic bushing doesnt help to keep silence...
hope DT solve it ASAP ,anyway I have to buy the hardtrail... :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.