Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode this once, it's pristine. My hope was that after using a coil for several years this would give me what I'm looking for. I'm too heavy to use the link with a coil and I'm not crazy about the X2 so I'm sticking with the coil as is and am selling the link.

760F92BA-B0AA-4EEA-8C98-64B0EE161882_1_105_c by Sean Chaney, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I rode this once, it's pristine. My hope was that after using a coil for several years this would give me what I'm looking for. I'm too heavy to use the link with a coil and I'm not crazy about the X2 so I'm sticking with the coil as is and am selling the link.

760F92BA-B0AA-4EEA-8C98-64B0EE161882_1_105_c by Sean Chaney, on Flickr
Can you elaborate on how the cascade link doesn’t work for your weight? I thought the progressive nature of the link would do better for heavier or harder riders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not that it doesn't work, it's that I prefer the sensitivity of a coil because it tracks better in rough corners than an air shock. I'm upwards of 200lb and already using the heaviest SLS spring in my DHX2. I'd have to bump up to a much heavier standard spring and don't want to add weight to an already porky setup. The Cascade link definitely softens the initial stroke, but it's still not on par with a coil, which is fine, but it's not my preference.

There's also the matter of the lower BB. I modified my DHX2 to be slightly longer with a slightly longer stroke as well which raised the BB height...something that I like. I didn't take the time to pull my X2 apart to tweak the length and the 7mm lower BB (than stock, more like 15mm lower than mine) also doesn't work for me and made it much harder for me to steal a few pedal strokes on a few rocky sections of trails that I regularly ride. If my main trails were less rocky and had smoother corners, I'd love to drop the weight and use the link with an X2...and probably wouldn't mind the lower BB, but things being as they are, the link isn't my preference.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Or you know, you can use the Cascade Link with a coil. Pretty sure the link was made with having a coil in mind.

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Or you know, you can use the Cascade Link with a coil. Pretty sure the link was made with having a coil in mind.
As I wrote above, I’d have to swap for a black spring, which I don’t want to do. Once the bike I want is available, I’m selling the Yeti anyhow.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
It's not that it doesn't work, it's that I prefer the sensitivity of a coil because it tracks better in rough corners than an air shock. I'm upwards of 200lb and already using the heaviest SLS spring in my DHX2. I'd have to bump up to a much heavier standard spring and don't want to add weight to an already porky setup. The Cascade link definitely softens the initial stroke, but it's still not on par with a coil, which is fine, but it's not my preference.

There's also the matter of the lower BB. I modified my DHX2 to be slightly longer with a slightly longer stroke as well which raised the BB height...something that I like. I didn't take the time to pull my X2 apart to tweak the length and the 7mm lower BB (than stock, more like 15mm lower than mine) also doesn't work for me and made it much harder for me to steal a few pedal strokes on a few rocky sections of trails that I regularly ride. If my main trails were less rocky and had smoother corners, I'd love to drop the weight and use the link with an X2...and probably wouldn't mind the lower BB, but things being as they are, the link isn't my preference.
The bb thing I get. It does lower the bike enough to feel it.

Cascade link would make a heavier person manage a coil better. I’m 205 using one with an x2 and if it wasn’t for the weight of a coil spring, I would be all over one. It’s made the bike more progressive.

Anyways have fun on the next bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cascade link would make a heavier person manage a coil better. I’m 205 using one with an x2 and if it wasn’t for the weight of a coil spring, I would be all over one. It’s made the bike more progressive.
I'm about the same weight and use a 550# SLS coil. To make the CL work with a coil, I need to bump the spring up, which is going to add weight I don't want on the bike...have to draw the line somewhere...and when that added weight comes with a BB drop and more pedal kickback, I'm not into it. This is a great piece of kit for someone, just not me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts