Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm just curious if there are any factory FS bikes out there that are capable of supporting a 6'6", 480# person (my father).

He has been over weight for at least my 22 year life, and probably much longer, and recently has put him in the hospital for lower back and knee surgery. These surgeries should allow him to get out and move around some with reduced pain in those areas, and once he has healed up, I would like to see if I can get him on a bike for more exercise later on.

So, is there anything out there that could do this from LBS to street with him on it, or am I looking at modifying something to be able to do this?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was afraid of. I don't think anything like that would have enough squish in the tires and seat/post alone for him to not be in pain while riding it.

Perhaps a Pugsley with tubeless tires and a suspension post with spring seat?

·
Keep The Rubber Side Down
1,685 Posts
Yes, I agree. At that weight he would need to buy some extemely expensive and bullet proof wheels. That's if the shock and fork don't constantly blow up. A beefy rigid will be the best option for now. maybe go 29er to help with the "cush" factor. Good luck!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Before riding on dirt he should probably put some miles on easy trails/pbike paths that are paved until his strength and stamina are solid. And he shouldn't need much squish for bike paths.

I am assuming that he is at least 40 if he's your Dad, and if he's been above 400 lbs for years, easing back to off-road may be advisable. Consider talking to a physical therapist about how best to get him back on a bike.... I'm not a Dr. ,don't play one on TV, just my opinion - for what it is worth.

·
Registered
95 Posts
im 37 but started at 440lbs on fixie/track bike with 700x35c tires and rode around town..with watching what i ate and riding when i can or walking on treadmill, in 5 months 2 weeks i'm down 109lbs, and i am not starving...i just log what i eat everyday.....good luck, but a piece of advise, unless he is ready, it will never happen, i learned the hard way several times

·
Registered
15 Posts
clay- what that is great news man, you are an inspiration to me, Im around 330lbs and want to loose around a 100lbs too, I do admit watching what I eat is kinda hard for me. I need the will power to eat the healthier alternative but more power to you man!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
48 spoke custom wheels.

Seriously strong frame, like the Surly Ogre or Troll. Maybe even something like a Transition Transam or any other of the current breed of steel hardtail bikes. They're all overbuilt to handle abuse so they'll be much stronger than a steel XC bike.

Dont even bother with FS. Anybody over 300lbs should be riding rigid anyways, then the cushion is an extra reward when you get it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
what about a pug? Steel frame, obviously over-sized tires/rims.

I can't imagine there is any platform out there (spring or air) that could manage that kind of static load.

Best of luck for your father. Whenever I see someone running, I always want to suggest bike riding instead ;-) Perhaps I'm biased.

·
Registered
70 Posts
you can get a FS bike too take your weight. there are other people in this forum that weigh more and are taller. turner frames and a custom coil over style shock. custom wheeles.....gunna cost a bunch of money. me myself I'm shrek shaped and large and I enjoy my pugley on dirt,snow and black top just fine...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.